London SE1 community website

Veolia recycling/rubbish collection

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 24 November 2018 12.54am
I live in a small block of flats. We have our own recycle and rubbish bins in a room attached to the building. Southwark Council have put 3 recycling bins on the pavement adjacent to the block. The recycle bins are used by people from the area to deposit domestic and at times commercial rubbish in the bins or mostly dumping on the pavement near the bins. I’ve seen open bags of raw and cooked meats, a large pile of syringes. No recycle material is deposited. Veiola never empty the bins as they are ‘contaminated’ and put
labels on as such. The refuse vans drive by as they see ‘recycle’. Result: piles of rubbish that are only removed when someone calls the council. I’ve sent maybe 15 emails to council who are saying that the ‘recycle’ bins must
stay. It’s being monitored, but I don’t hold up much hope. The bins are under my lounge window. I am stressed and depressed by the situation. I have been copying Neil Coyle to done emails and he has shown some interest but the situ seems deferred to the council. Any suggestions? Thx.
Saturday 24 November 2018 11.02am
I don't have suggestions or solutions but do make sure you take photos of everything. You probably have already but had to say.
I think a good photo of a bag fullof syringes and a 'contaminated' label could have an affect.
Sunday 25 November 2018 3.31pm
This is outrageous, rimby.

I would suggest taking this to your Ward Councilors: Neil Coyle isn't going to do anything about it.
Thursday 29 November 2018 11.53pm
Communal bins are a magnet for mindless fly-tipping, and worse. The one by our block entrance is used by shameless blokes as a public convenience. Constant source of annoyance. Depending on your scruples, you could spray paint a made-up street name on the bins then push them into the next borough. Or bombard the council with fly-tipping reports every day.
Sunday 2 December 2018 10.21pm
Thank you all for replies. Some very useful tips. I am determined to get it sorted one way or another. I have to as I cannot live with the current situ.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions