London SE1 community website

Newington Temporary Library

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 3 January 2019 11.26am
It seems I haven't been keeping up with local events...I wanted to go to the Newington Temporary library yesterday, but it turns out the whole boxpark is completely closed. The best information I could find was that Southwark want to find a permanent home for the library and would try to keep the closure period to a minimum. Does anyone know any more about this? It seems the library's original home is now usable but has been rented out to someone else so I presume it won't be returning there, which is a shame.
Monday 7 January 2019 10.31am
Southwark Council closed the temporary library just before Christmas, as apparently the Artworks is moving out soon, presumably as the Heygate construction gathers pace. I asked them about it on twitter and they said that they're planning to find a new site for the library 'soon', and pointed me to Grove Vale library (which is four miles away). In the meantime I think John Harvard library on Borough High Street is the closest. I still don't understand why Southwark Council would prefer to build a new library rather than reopen Newington Library, and there's no plan to make it part of the refurbishment of Newington Town Hall.
Sunday 13 January 2019 2.24pm
babybat wrote:
Southwark Council closed the temporary library just before Christmas, as apparently the Artworks is moving out soon, presumably as the Heygate construction gathers pace. I asked them about it on twitter and they said that they're planning to find a new site for the library 'soon', and pointed me to Grove Vale library (which is four miles away). In the meantime I think John Harvard library on Borough High Street is the closest. I still don't understand why Southwark Council would prefer to build a new library rather than reopen Newington Library, and there's no plan to make it part of the refurbishment of Newington Town Hall.

In derby many libraries are relying on elderly volunteers to deal with work previously carried out by staff, I think it's excuse to close smaller ones down. Where would Southwark find the land nearby ? With land value in that area rising by the minute, I agree babybat Why when there's been a library there for decades? Think it will be sold off like Bermondsey one in Spa Rd. perhaps Southwark still maintains the Mobile Library, my Mum loved it she would tell young lady what she liked and just like magic five books would appear!
Tuesday 15 January 2019 1.11pm
The new library will be at the bottom of one of the Lendlease blocks just to the north of Wansey Street

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieIssueDetails.aspx?IId=50018803&PlanId=0&Opt=3#AI52121

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions