London SE1 community website

Scores on the doors

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 3 January 2019 4.05pm
I have to admit I'm put off going to eat somewhere that scores really badly on the official food hygeine ratings. So for a couple of years I didn't go to Dragon Castle as they had unfortunately low scores several times in a row... I was very pleased to see that they turned that round, reasonable score and we returned to the restaurant. Sadly the visit in July 2018 scored them at 1 again... I'm confused as to how a business could fall back to such low scores. 1= Major improvement necessary
Anyone know if there's been a change of ownership or are these scores misleading?
Friday 4 January 2019 10.32am
That is worrying - I go there quite often. The Scores on the Doors website doesn't seem very informative - there is no information beyond the actual score. The Food Standards website was a little more informative but not much, and I have requested the full report from them so we will see. I have never noticed any problems with my food when I have visited and have never been unwell following a visit or anything.
Friday 4 January 2019 10.35am
I think it's assessed by what the inspector finds on the day. As the inspections are, I think, unannounced the restaurant can't prepare for the visit. So if the inspector turns up when the place is in a mess it will get scored accordingly. Similarly, the process requires the operator to have fully up to date records for all sorts of things- again, if that has been missed the score will reduce.
Tuesday 8 January 2019 8.24pm
I strongly feel that it should be a legal requirement for all catering establishments in England to display prominently, on their entrance door, their current food hygiene score as is already the case in Wales and Ulster.

Prospective diners will thus be able to make an informed choice before they buy prepared food dishes, be they to consume on the premises, or take away.

As things stand here in England at the moment, those establishments with a high rating proudly display it on they doors, while those deemed lacking in hygiene do not...

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions