London SE1 community website

Minicab protest

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 17 January 2019 4.56pm
Taking inspiration from the black cabbies, minicab drivers blocked Blackfriars Road the other day to protest about their congestion charge exemption being removed.
Why the flip were they exempt from the congestion charge in the first place??? Every 2nd car you see on the road appears to be a minicab / Uber or whatever. Often crawling along mindlessly, without looking where they're going or giving any regard to the outside world. I can't see any justification for them being exempt from the charge.
Thursday 17 January 2019 5.14pm
' Often crawling along mindlessly, without looking where they're going or giving any regard to the outside world. '

I could not agree more!
Friday 18 January 2019 8.52am
...or parked with their engines running to keep warm in the winter or cool in the summer.

Even more irritating when they park on residents' bays and become aggressive when asked to move.
Monday 21 January 2019 11.19am
Beware.

Minicab drivers are due to have another demonstration today, 21/01/2019, during the rush hour, 4-6pm.

I cannot see them gathering support from the trapped and delayed bus passengers.
Tuesday 22 January 2019 1.18pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
Beware.
Minicab drivers are due to have another demonstration today, 21/01/2019, during the rush hour, 4-6pm.

I cannot see them gathering support from the trapped and delayed bus passengers.

The black cabs didn't either, so you're probably right.
Tuesday 22 January 2019 4.22pm
According to the police surrounding our flats (I live next door to the TfL building in Blackfriars Road), this is going to be happening every Monday. The noise and disturbance was awful. I can see no good reason why minicabs were ever granted exemption from the CC charge in the first place. If residents within the zone aren't exempt why should anyone who just happens to work within the zone be exempt?
Tuesday 22 January 2019 5.55pm
Residents do get a 90% discount, which is pretty close to an exemption. I don't really support that either (speaking as a resident and car owner).

Taxis definitely contribute to congestion and should pay like the rest of us plebs:

"The number of licensed private hire drivers in London has almost doubled in less than a decade, from 59,000 in 2009-10 to 114,000 in 2017-18, while the number of black-cab drivers has fallen from 25,000 to just under 24,000. About 45,000 drivers work for Uber in London, according to the company."
Link: Guardian article
Wednesday 23 January 2019 11.01am
Same here - local resident and car owner, but even though we get a 90% discount we do still have to pay to drive to and from our own homes. Incidentally, there's no resident discount when the new ULEZ comes into force, although we are being 'given' until October 2021 to change our cars. I've yet to speak to any other CC zone car-driving residents who realise this, so those with older cars are in for something of a shock when the sunset period is over and they find themselves being charged the full rate, which applies 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions