London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Street Tree Destruction

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 24 January 2019 11.56am
The beautiful tree on the corner on Bermondsey Street and Tanner Street has just been felled. As the only large tree along Bermondsey Street which was lit up at night with 'fairy lights' this is a huge loss to the streetscape. Does anyone know:
- Did Southwark Council give notice of this?
- Will the tree be replaced by a reasonably mature tree (not a sapling)
- Will the lights be replaced on any replacement tree?
Thursday 24 January 2019 12.05pm
The council's published tree works schedule hasn't been updated for a while:
https://www.southwark.gov.uk/environment/trees/check-the-tree-maintenance-schedule

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 24 January 2019 1.43pm
Very sad to watch. Im sure there's a good reason…
Saturday 26 January 2019 12.39pm
Assuming it wasn't diseased, were roots lifting the pavement? Or is it close to new development? Any tree due to be cut down should be announced on front page of local newspaper! I love trees more should be planted ...
Sunday 27 January 2019 2.13pm
I have asked the Council to explain this apparent vandalism and lack of consultation with local people. It's not only the lost opportunity to mitigate air pollution and the personal security reassurance engendered by the lights but also the design issues. The tree made a pleasing visual reference at the junction of the two roads. I feel very sad and have requested the planting of a replacement.
Sunday 27 January 2019 7.04pm
I was quite upset to see that as well.
Monday 28 January 2019 9.06am
A while back I requested a tree near my home be trimmed back as the branches were almost touching my windows.
Southwark came out and assessed the tree, they said they could trim back the branches and by how much. They did call me on my mobile to inform me they were outside and would it be possible for me to meet them by the tree. I couldn't but they went ahead with the assessment.
I few weeks later I received a further call to inform me that on further investigation they found the tree was in fact rotting and was unsafe. I thought it might be rotting due to a large split in the trunk.
They would have to remove the tree but would replace it, which they did.
I found the whole process easy and communication with Southwark tree dept was excellent.
I hope there was a good reason for chopping this tree down , some trees have a short life . I hope they don't replace it with a London plain tree but one which will have berries and supports the local insect and wildlife.
Currently that corner looks very sad .
Monday 28 January 2019 12.53pm
scooter wrote:
A while back I requested a tree near my home be trimmed back as the branches were almost touching my windows.
Southwark came out and assessed the tree, they said they could trim back the branches and by how much. They did call me on my mobile to inform me they were outside and would it be possible for me to meet them by the tree. I couldn't but they went ahead with the assessment.
I few weeks later I received a further call to inform me that on further investigation they found the tree was in fact rotting and was unsafe. I thought it might be rotting due to a large split in the trunk.
They would have to remove the tree but would replace it, which they did.
I found the whole process easy and communication with Southwark tree dept was excellent.
I hope there was a good reason for chopping this tree down , some trees have a short life . I hope they don't replace it with a London plain tree but one which will have berries and supports the local insect and wildlife.
Currently that corner looks very sad .

Wow, that is genuinely impressive! I have to admit when I started reading your post I didn't expect it to end well. I do hope they replace the Bermondsey Street tree.
Tuesday 29 January 2019 7.49am
Two very mature trees also seem to have been recently felled on Tabard Street, along the boundary of Tabard Gardens.

Government is currently consulting on additional protection for street trees: https://consult.defra.gov.uk/forestry/protecting-trees-and-woodlands/
Tuesday 29 January 2019 9.33am
A few weeks ago one of the health looking mature trees in tabard gardens blew down/fell down, crushing a car (and hopefully nothing more). I have no idea why two more additional trees were then cut down - but I am hoping that this was to prevent injuries/death. There are quite a number of the same trees in a row in the garden and it was not obvious whether there was anything different about the one that fell. I love trees and nature but also hope that Southwark is taking its duty of care responsibly.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions