London SE1 community website

Fibre Broadband / BT & Hyperoptic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 31 January 2019 10.43am
I am so so angry about this. The broadband speeds are notoriously bad in SE1 as we all know. BT won't install broadband (not cost effective for them) and so Southwark council has stepped in and has opted for Hyperoptic to provide fibre - which they are doing. I would commend them if it weren't for below.

Within 20m of my building (all the Peabody Estates, Patterson House etc) are all getting fibre capabilities. SO you would think, (and the engineers confirm this) that the fibre cables run right outside our building. Yes they do. However, having spoken to Hyperoptic, they REFUSE to install into buildings with LESS than 30 flats in them (unless it is a council building). My building has 4 flats so essentially we are ignored.

So all the private residences and blocks of flats of 29 or less in the area are being frozen out all across SE1. We are not worthwhile to work with - BT won't, and Hyperoptic won't, even though they have installed the infrastructure.

Who can we actually complain to??? You would think they would want our business but apparently no!!!!
Thursday 31 January 2019 8.14pm
Hyperoptic was installed in our building in SE1 just under a year ago - with 12 flats.
Thursday 31 January 2019 11.10pm
Can I ask if your building was ex council?

I called 3 times today to Hyperopitic (spoke with 3 different sales associates) and they all said it was company policy not to install in buildings with less than 30 flats. Our building (privately owned freehold) has only 4 and they all basically said take a hike. Either you were lucky or they have changed their policy in the interim.

BT say - we aren't upgrading that area and to speak to Hyperopic.

I am still livid as I can't get anyone to upgrade with even if the fibre lines are there!
Friday 1 February 2019 5.25pm
There is also another company working in Southwark: Community Fibre.

Perhaps they might be worth giving a call.
Saturday 2 February 2019 9.07am
No, it's not ex-council.

I'm not entirely sure, but think they reached out to building management about installation, so it does sound like they've changed their policies unfortunately.
Monday 4 February 2019 10.26am
I suspect that Hyperoptic can't make an installation for four flats pay, to be honest. The deal is that they install for nothing on the basis they expect a large number of flats in the block to sign up for the service. Most do, as it is so fast and Hyperoptic recover the capital outlay that way. Once the system is in, Hyperoptic's costs of running it are minimal.

I wonder if it is worth a letter/email to the CEO suggesting that your block pays for the installation and find out how much they would charge. I doubt it would be cheap, though.
Monday 4 February 2019 3.29pm
I am sure they can't on the face of it, but they have already laid all the cabling in so that part of the infrastructure is in place. It runs right outside. However, again - If BT won't, and washed their hands to Hyperoptic to serve the community, then surely they should serve the community.

It would be like British Gas saying, yes there are Gas pipes outside but you can't use them.
There is no recourse either.

I might write to the Hyperopic CEO and see what can be done. Any other suggestions are gratefully received.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions