London SE1 community website

Unknown person using my address

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 20 February 2019 9.46pm
Hello, does anyone know who I should contact when someones unconnected with my property and unknown to me is using my house number and street name on the estate where I live? A letter arrived for this person, with my house number and the street name, but with the wrong postal code and giving a flat address. (There are no flats in my house). This was followed a week or two later by a man at my door, saying he had a meeting with this unknown person. I've contacted our estate officer (but no reply so far). Any suggestions welcome as you are a resourceful lot. Thanks
Wednesday 20 February 2019 10.59pm
Hi Alberta Ally,

I would contact the police in case itís someone attempting fraud. Might affect your credit rating if they do something dodgy. I had something similar a couple of years ago when someone had given my address to a bus ticket inspector for a fine for unpaid fare. I keep getting letters demanding the fine be paid. I contacted authorities and eventually sorted it. Worrying thing was my block of flats was newly built, even the postman didnít know the address! Have you looked up the personís nzmd on google? Might be able to locate person. Hope you sort it.
Sunday 24 February 2019 9.30pm
Names that aren't yours at your address will not affect your credit rating (they did a long long time ago but this was banned).

Just mark them as "not known at this address - return to sender" and pop them back in the postbox.
Sunday 24 February 2019 10.14pm
Iíve recently been the victim of identity fraud. Two bank accounts and four credit cards, with a total credit of more than 20k, were taken out in my name. I couldnít work out why someone would do that, as the cards were sent to my home. Simple - they do it hoping to intercept the mail.

If youíve had mail sent to another name at your home I would contact the sender directly to tell them, in case someone is planning to use your address for fake ID.
Monday 25 February 2019 9.24pm
Thanks to all three of you for your helpful advice - I knew I could count on users of this discussion forum! I did google the guy's name but it seems that his name is very popular so couldn't track him down but I'll have a word with the police and I've already emailed our estate officer twice so may hear from her.
Tuesday 12 March 2019 9.51pm
I think maybe this and the sudden spate of mail theft in SE1 post may well be related....

https://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/220351

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions