London SE1 community website

Project fear reaches SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Friday 8 March 2019 12.06pm
" faraday
'proving my point what bad winners leavers are'

Really? "



Yep, really.
Friday 15 March 2019 2.02pm
In that case anything resembling those predictions that come about in the next few months and years is entirely on you and your side. I hope you take responsibility for it if and when it happens.
Sunday 17 March 2019 8.30am
Great Britain has been a member for 45 years.

Compare this to our 1000 years of glorious sovereignty etc

What price sovreignty?
Sunday 17 March 2019 4.36pm
Paramount wrote:
Great Britain has been a member for 45 years.
Compare this to our 1000 years of glorious sovereignty etc

What price sovreignty?

'1000 years' Paramount?

You mean since 1019?

Ah yes, I remember it well.

1019:

Half the population spoke Old Norse. There was a Danish king on the throne of England.

In Scotland, the Gaels (from Ireland) were still ethnically cleansing the Picts, and shared the country with another lot of Norsemen.

In Wales the various Welsh kingdoms were fighting among themselves.

And for most of that thousand years most of us didn't have a vote anyway - what price sovereignty?

Please learn a bit of history before quoting it as if it meant anything.

John C
Sunday 17 March 2019 11.10pm
Paramount wrote:
Great Britain has been a member for 45 years.
Compare this to our 1000 years of glorious sovereignty etc

What price sovreignty?

What sovereignty. Weve been US poodles ever since the end WW2. Its no wonder many Brexiters are also Trump sycophants. Contemptible.
Tuesday 19 March 2019 5.06pm
John C wrote:
Paramount wrote:
Great Britain has been a member for 45 years.
Compare this to our 1000 years of glorious sovereignty etc

What price sovreignty?

'1000 years' Paramount?

You mean since 1019?

Ah yes, I remember it well.

1019:

Half the population spoke Old Norse. There was a Danish king on the throne of England.

In Scotland, the Gaels (from Ireland) were still ethnically cleansing the Picts, and shared the country with another lot of Norsemen.

In Wales the various Welsh kingdoms were fighting among themselves.

And for most of that thousand years most of us didn't have a vote anyway - what price sovereignty?

Please learn a bit of history before quoting it as if it meant anything.

John C

Us Romans should have never left...
Tuesday 19 March 2019 9.39pm
Jules62 wrote:
John C wrote:
Paramount wrote:
Great Britain has been a member for 45 years.
Compare this to our 1000 years of glorious sovereignty etc

What price sovreignty?

'1000 years' Paramount?

You mean since 1019?

Ah yes, I remember it well.

1019:

Half the population spoke Old Norse. There was a Danish king on the throne of England.

In Scotland, the Gaels (from Ireland) were still ethnically cleansing the Picts, and shared the country with another lot of Norsemen.

In Wales the various Welsh kingdoms were fighting among themselves.

And for most of that thousand years most of us didn't have a vote anyway - what price sovereignty?

Please learn a bit of history before quoting it as if it meant anything.

John C

Us Romans should have never left...

Personally I blame Henry VIII.

Although William I and the Normans have a lot to answer for as well. If Harold Godwinson had won at Hastings in 1066 we'd be much more like the Scandinavian countries (ie peaceful and civilised, with no imperial ambitions or pretensions to being a world power).
Tuesday 19 March 2019 10.18pm
John C wrote:
we'd be much more like the Scandinavian countries (ie peaceful and civilised, with no imperial ambitions or pretensions to being a world power).

Hm, yes, the Vikings... No such ambitions at all. And no pillaging etc. either.
Wednesday 20 March 2019 11.22am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
John C wrote:
we'd be much more like the Scandinavian countries (ie peaceful and civilised, with no imperial ambitions or pretensions to being a world power).

Hm, yes, the Vikings... No such ambitions at all. And no pillaging etc. either.

Sorry, eDWaRD, I did mean the Scandinavian nations today, who have put their childhood high spirits behind them. And apart perhaps from the Rus in Russia, they've never gone in for empire building to the extent the British later did.

Seriously, though, there's a couple of good articles in the latest issue of History Today - 5.50 from W H Smiths - both putting Brexit into its historical context:

Stuart Sweenie on 'Smith, Kant and De Gaulle - the relationship between France, Germany and Britain' - quote 'All three states are infused with a strong sense of the national and variable sense of Europe.'

Helen Thompson 'Brexit forever' - quote 'History suggests that Britain's relationship with Europe may never truly be resolved.' (I see she's professor of 'Political Economy' - now there's a contradiction in terms.)

It's a pity that some people prefer empty rhetoric about 'a thousand years of sovereignty' to mask what seems to be a nostalgia for the lost 'glories' of the 1950s!

As they say: 'History repeats itself because no one was listening the first time.'
Friday 22 March 2019 9.52am
Message removed
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions