London SE1 community website

Project fear reaches SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Sunday 24 March 2019 5.28pm
Jules62 wrote:
By a small margin (3.78%) they voted to leave

faraday wrote:
Had The British people voted to remain ...

They did: no issue of "had".

faraday wrote:
how large would you require the margin to be before you considered your victory acceptable?
Im interested in the actual number of voters as an integer.

I wouldn't put it in numbers of voters, but by percentages of those who took part in the consultation.

Under the unwritten UK constitution, referendums have no legal value: Parliament (if it wishes) must pass legislation to implement the results of the popular consultation.

In a case such as this one, where the margin is very small, and when it is becoming obvious that a hard Brexit could spell great hardship for this nation, many MPs are demanding that a good exit deal for the UK is negotiated,and the PM has so far been unable to present Parliament with a deal they can live with.

At the same time many people with a right to vote are demanding a second chance to do so on the same issue (so far, over 5M people have petitioned parliament, and that number is growing).

I would say that it is legitimate, under these circumstances, to ask the electorate once more if they think the UK should stay or go.

We should be like a tailor: measure twice, cut once...

Monday 25 March 2019 11.48am
Tolstoy wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQMIXGRjaw

Soundtrack to my teenage years! Unfortunately (in my opinion) Sham '69 have not aged as well as The Clash :(
Monday 25 March 2019 4.02pm
I agree entirely and yep, much of my youth there.
Monday 25 March 2019 4.03pm
I agree entirely and yep, much of my youth there. Just wish I'd pick up a guitar at the time.
Monday 25 March 2019 11.13pm
Blimey eDWaRD , this is side of you we don't get to see. Some kind of ballardian car "clash" scenario
Tuesday 26 March 2019 9.59am
Save Democracy

Category Leave / Remain Maj In favour of Leaving

By Vote 17.4m 16.1m 1.3m

By Constituency 406 242 164

Constituency

by Party

Labour 148 84 64

Conservative 247 80 167

By Region 9 3 6

By MPs 160 486 -326

Parliament isn't the solution; it's the problem!
Tuesday 26 March 2019 12.13pm
tone wrote:
Blimey eDWaRD , this is side of you we don't get to see. Some kind of ballardian car "clash" scenario
Really? Joe Strummer read Ballard. There is something Ballardian about the song "London Calling". Joy Division named a song after a Ballard book. I don't think Jimmy Pursey read Ballard though.
Tuesday 26 March 2019 12.57pm
Message removed
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions