London SE1 community website

Southwark registrars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 1 March 2019 1.48pm
Help me! As I have now passed the three quarter century bit I thought I would seriously attempt the genealogy malarkey again.

Armed with a few basic facts about my grandfather born in 1885, June Quarter, parish of st.saviours, volume 1,Page 57 .I remembered online certificate one can order.

Full of hope I may obtain more details,his birthday ,mother maiden name etc. I started to fill in form: sailed along till I got to bit that asked for date of birth. Three small boxes, tried all ways of squeezing in 1885 ..wouldn't accept..tried zero zero zero..same thing . Then left blank..same thing..tried to get through to Registrars via phone..listened to many options that didn't need..young lady eventually answered , it was another contact centre, I now have a direct line!

Thought 11 for certificate was good value..will be ringing again..so granddad you'll have to wait! Moan over!
Friday 1 March 2019 10.15pm
It come under the heading of historical records, still can't understand why online can't be adjusted to accept the 1885.

I can go visit Registrars ( impossible) or send email explaining..gentleman was helpful when I got through cant blame him for the wait. But was irritated by constant Things can be accessed via website!
Saturday 2 March 2019 9.33am
Hi Jan. You can order a PDF copy of the certificate which can be sent by email and only costs 7. It will have all the information you need.
I order certs regularly including two this morning.
If you still havn't found what you are looking for, pm me the details of the person and I can have a look in the GRO?
Saturday 2 March 2019 11.08pm
That's really kind of you Paul, but I think the snag seemed to be his year of birth, 1885. Which according to this nice man makes it under Historical Records..which involves sending email etc. To Registrars at the council.

I then thought oh blow it I will do it on GRO website..having obtained details of Qtr.Volume..page etc. Only to find they are in the process of fiddling with the system!

Years ago I applied via Southwarks website for a copy of my Aunts death certificate, she died oct.4..1989.. after weeks hadn't received it. I had email asking if it the surname was different..was I sure etc. Seeing as I was there in guys hosp.just after she died, arranged the funeral,clearing her flat...I was very very sure! Turned out there was a large chunk of documents missing from southwarks files...think I still have email somewhere!

My grandfathers name was Robert Edwin Sidell. D.o.b. Somewhere in 1885,June Qtr. Volume 1. Page 57....TheAncestry sites are pretty pricey.
It's an absorbing task. When I was seventeen my Aunty would drag me all over the country to various record offices. One of my cousins helped me clear out her flat when she died. Think much stuff went into the chute!
But thank you anyway for your kind offer.
Jan x
Monday 4 March 2019 10.54pm
Hi Jan
Certificate found and ordered. Should arrive as a PDF by the end of the week. :-)
PM me with your contact details and I'll pass it on to you.
Monday 4 March 2019 11.01pm
Jan can you send me a pm
Wednesday 6 March 2019 12.12pm
Paul sent you pm just now, hasn't appeared in sent box.

Here it is anyway.

[email protected]

Thanks a billion..xxx

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions