London SE1 community website

Garden Bridge Debate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 8 March 2019 7.33pm
What's actually being debated, I don't understand?
Friday 8 March 2019 7.39pm
An adjournment debate is a way of a backbencher getting a topic aired in the Commons, and forcing the Government to field a minister to respond on the floor of the house, often on subjects they’d rather not talk about if they can avoid it.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 8 March 2019 9.21pm
Thank you James. I'm so glad this is happening. I listened to the recording you posted when Boris was being interviewed by the London Assembly (?) and was so angry by his flippant answers I'm not sure what I expected after that but everything seemed to go quiet. I no longer live in London but still look at the SE1Forum site; it's a fantastic resource and I wish we had something like it in Havant.
Monday 11 March 2019 12.39pm
Although a way to require a response from a Minister, adjournment debates are seldom well attended. As a quirk as well, the MP proposing and starting the debate does not have the right to respond to the Minister's reply.

They are often used to get something on the record.
Monday 11 March 2019 3.47pm
Karen I wrote:
I no longer live in London

No matter: you, and all British people, are paying for this £53M fiasco: a significant amount of funding came from the Department for Transport (DfT), ie from the taxpayer, not only from Londoners who are paying more since TFL is the other main contributor and the money wasted by them could have been better used in maintaining the Capital's transport infrastructure.
Thursday 14 March 2019 11.39am
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
...adjournment debates are seldom well attended...

Particularly on Fridays, and probably even more so after a fairly busy and fraught week's business.

I wouldn't be surprised to find more people in the public viewing gallery than on the benches tomorrow.
Friday 15 March 2019 4.39pm
Indeed the chamber was almost deserted.

Video here: https://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9874

Nothing much new added really.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 15 March 2019 7.24pm
How very depressing; the topic, and the lack of audience.

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions