London SE1 community website

Magdalen Street mail theft

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 12 March 2019 7.09am
There is a gang currently targeting Magdalen and surrounding streets in se1 . They have been stealing mail from at least three properties for the purpose of ID fraud and bank fraud .

They have pin and fob access to at least one of those imapacted properties and master keys for the mailboxes. Licence plate and images of two of the people involved have been provided to the police.

Make sure you report mail theft / bank fraud to the police and action fraud.
Tuesday 12 March 2019 11.47am
Same thing is happening in the apartment blocks in City Walk. Reports are being made to police, etc but it doesn't feel the response is adequately serious at present. These people are very organised and persistent.
Tuesday 12 March 2019 9.41pm
I actually caught them at it. A while back, february last year. They had a key to my letterbox and claimed they were picking up mail for their girlfriend who used to live there. I pointed out i'd lived there for 18 years so this was unlikely. Then all got a bit heated and freaky. I called 999 while they sort of suggested we go down a dark alley to straighten things out, which, strangely, i didn't think was a great idea. On hold with the police FOR EVER ( if they had a weapon or something i would have been toast - on hold for 6 mins+). Once they clocked this was happening they ran off into a getaway car (!) that was idling away and sped off.

This made the whole thing SUPER WEIRD. If they are breaking into my letterbox why do they have a getaway car? If they just ran into the park i'd probably have thought nothing of it.

Anyway i got the license plate - LB60 FTN - a black hatchback of some kind - passed it onto the police and never heard anything about it from them or anyone else.

Until now.

So there you go. Bit more info if anyone wants it.

And yes I had previously had a bunch of people try and open credit cards in my name so it being part of a gang targeting the area would make sense.

I spent a long time trying to work out why the big getaway, really made it seem more of an organised thing than a simple mail theft.

And they had a master key as no one else has ever had my letter box key ever.

So there we go.
Wednesday 13 March 2019 9.08am
Definitely well organised ... itís allanout identity theft in order to commit bank fraud ... the car I believe they were using in this case is s black Ford Mustang Lg18 ehw

One guy in the car sorting though whatís colected ...one stealing mail. He returns stolen mail to his accomplice in the car and takes the debris from the previous mail stolen to discard ( we saw him discard and collect as evidence)

The reason for the car is they are covering a large part of se1 ( clearly)

Police are frankly useless
Wednesday 13 March 2019 12.34pm
Could covert surveillance cameras be installed near the letter boxes to provide evidence to police?
Wednesday 13 March 2019 2.54pm
Is it worth it?
I just composed a logical post on this subject, and posted it, only to get a message saying, Please fill in the body of message.
Wednesday 13 March 2019 7.05pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Is it worth it?
I just composed a logical post on this subject, and posted it, only to get a message saying, Please fill in the body of message.

And again, I give up, it was nice to be here for a while, take care.
Thursday 14 March 2019 2.05pm
Thank you for the posts on this. Are you able to name the blocks/properties? Any idea what time of day they are being targeted?

I was the victim of identity theft/fraud last year and assumed the cause was further away than my front door. Multiple credit cards were opened in my name. The first thing I knew about them was when the statements started coming.

Aside from the advice given, I found registering with Cifas was useful. Details here: www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/protective-registration
Thursday 14 March 2019 3.13pm
More Copper building
Oxford Drive
Lion Court

Targeted between 10am and midday ish ( ie around the time the post is typically delivered) but potentially at other times to

They will typically make more than one visit during that time
Thursday 14 March 2019 4.41pm
1 Correction

More Copper House
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions