London SE1 community website

Ocean Diva - Europe’s biggest party boat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 7 April 2019 11.39am
A neighbour was telling me about this. Air, noise and light pollution pretty much guaranteed. Having experienced louder party boats in other cities I really hope this doesn’t go ahead - utterly intrusive for those living, working or relaxing along the river banks. If you want to object, you can through the City of London, application number 19/00116. https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/attractions/ocean-diva-party-boat-river-thames-a4108116.html
Sunday 7 April 2019 1.30pm
This mega boat can carry up to 1500 people? Did I read that right? Remembering the Marchioness disaster no way would you get me on it!
Sunday 7 April 2019 7.02pm
Jan yes, and yes. It would be moored right next to where The Marchioness collided. The new boat is the length of a football pitch.
Monday 8 April 2019 1.08pm
Oh dear, that is more idiotic than those velopubs. I bet it'll contribute to further pollution of the Thames as well. I will object via the CoL to this.
Monday 8 April 2019 5.28pm
lullylush wrote:
Jan yes, and yes. It would be moored right next to where The Marchioness collided. The new boat is the length of a football pitch.
. Like to see a boat that long and high navigate under bridges when the tide is high! Remember going on trip from embankment to Greenwich. Parties returned late at Greenwich . Staff were unhappy ,going back to embankment I was unhappy saying there's not much clearance? I don't do well on water!
Thursday 11 April 2019 11.08am
Jan the old one wrote:
Like to see a boat that long and high navigate under bridges when the tide is high!

The article says its new mooring will be at London Bridge with a base at the Royal Docks.

Tower Bridge is the only bridge it will need to navigate - it probably won't travel upstream.
Thursday 11 April 2019 3.31pm
Probably about the same as the lashed together container barges that sail up and down the river carrying ash and refuse.
Thursday 11 April 2019 4.52pm
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
Jan the old one wrote:
Like to see a boat that long and high navigate under bridges when the tide is high!

The article says its new mooring will be at London Bridge with a base at the Royal Docks.

Tower Bridge is the only bridge it will need to navigate - it probably won't travel upstream.

No, the new pier they are applying for planning permission for will be at Swan Lane - upstream of London Bridge. Setting off from its Docklands base, the vessel will have to pass through London Bridge and then turn round and moor in the distance between London Bridge and Cannon Street railway bridge. That's about 220 meters - and the river is just 200 meters wide here, even at high tide.

Sounds pretty tricky to me, for a vessel said to be 86 meters long, particularly if the tide is flowing or ebbing fast. It's certainly going to block half the width of the river as it turns. Can't see other river users being happy with that!

(And there's no indication whether, having embarked passengers at Swan Lane, they will set off upstream or down.)

However, I see the official comments on the planning application by the PLA, who should have concerns about navigation and the rights of other river users, are mildly supportive of the proposal - see their comment among the others at https://www.planning2.cityoflondon.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PMKFGWFHI8H00

John C
Thursday 6 June 2019 10.05am
Having seen the link Connie provided to the Guardian I am dumbstruck that it may be allowed on our beloved Thames. The size of it for a start, the logistics for it to navigate safely on the river. It will become like the Bowbelle instead ,rolling over smaller vessels as on the Bridge smaller vessels may not be seen. Heaven help any casualties .

Stop this please.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions