London SE1 community website

Climate protesters.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11
Saturday 20 July 2019 7.39pm
I note the climate protesters have left their campsite on Millennium Green. I also note that the green is in a tidier and cleaner state than when they moved in.
Well done Lambeth if it was you that cleared the site although I doubt it was you, much more likely that ER made sure that they cleared the site extensively so that the 'nay sayers' would have nothing further to add to their fake news.
Saturday 20 July 2019 8.59pm
Some great images, taken at today's protest at the Greater London Authority (GLA) Building to demand the mayor takes action on GLA energy use and climate change, captured by film-maker and photographer Gareth, whom I have known for over 30 years:

All images subject to copyright: please use the author's contact info that is watermarked in each image if you wish to reuse this material.
Saturday 20 July 2019 11.12pm
Brilliant photos Jules it shows how many do care about our World. Just out of idle curiosity how many people use toilets cleaners that are released into the water supply every flush? One advert drives me mad is the one for pretty green and pink chemicals in ball form that release in to the sea (eventually) or wet wipes...disposable nappies...candles that when lit smell like incense sticks, dodgy perfumes...instead of bars of soap, pump soap in plastic bottles.

The thing is I'm driving people mad with my 'in my day we washed babies when small with cotton wool, never cleaned ears out with plastic cotton wool buds. Children were washed with soap and flannel! And now before I drive everyone mad thinking my giddy aunt she's off again, I shall retire to bed...feather pillows,cotton sheets,feather filled continental quilt...( now called a duvet!)
Sunday 21 July 2019 10.01am
Paramount wrote:
To Rambling Phil.
...what a noise and obstruction of pedestrians and traffic....I was attempting to get to a St Thomas Hospital appointment but these protesters appear not to care if someone has a stroke or heart attack...just carry on regardless...As I told the cops yesterday."it's rubbish" literally and metaphorically ...perhaps

What obstruction of pedestrians? I've never seen a demonstration that pedestrians couldn't get through until the boys in blue put a kettle in.

Paramount - you regularly appear on this forum fulminating against demonstrations and their imagined impact (I didn't see your update on the actual toileting facilities in Waterloo Green) and you've provided no evidence of the demonstrations having an effect on anyone's health, merely fact-free supposition.

You aren't the only one to have spent time in the company of your hero, Tony Benn. It strikes me that he would probably have seen the Extinction Rebellion in the same tradition of civil disobedience and provocation as the suffragettes.

Out of interest, can you give us a single instance of a demonstration the conduct of which you approve, and why?
Sunday 21 July 2019 10.34pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Brilliant photos Jules it shows how many do care about our World. Just out of idle curiosity how many people use toilets cleaners that are released into the water supply every flush? One advert drives me mad is the one for pretty green and pink chemicals in ball form that release in to the sea (eventually) or wet wipes...disposable nappies...candles that when lit smell like incense sticks, dodgy perfumes...instead of bars of soap, pump soap in plastic bottles.
The thing is I'm driving people mad with my 'in my day we washed babies when small with cotton wool, never cleaned ears out with plastic cotton wool buds. Children were washed with soap and flannel! And now before I drive everyone mad thinking my giddy aunt she's off again, I shall retire to bed...feather pillows,cotton sheets,feather filled continental quilt...( now called a duvet!)

Thanks Jan,

Each and every one of us needs to take personal responsibility to ensure that at least we can do all that is reasonably to avoid being part of the problems that are threatening our planet.

Other that that, we should also do what we can to raise awareness amongst others, and always be ready to stand up to those who deny climate change: in my opinion climate change denial should join holocaust denial as a criminal offence.
Monday 22 July 2019 12.27pm
"Jerry
Sunday 21 April 2019 12.21am
...most of the official bodies responsible for promoting co2 reduction are strangely silent on the fastest and most productive way of reducing the carbon footprint. Birth control. Not having an extra child reduces a families carbon footprint by nearly 30 times more than any other form of carbon emission reduction, 58 tons of CO2 a year!. Yes far more than going vegan, getting rid of a car, flying less, or recycling. Go google it and wonder how many of those sitting on the bridge at Waterloo have more than one or two kids. "

The genius that is Miley Cyrus (sarcasm alert) is an unexpected ally for those who support this theory ( I don't).
Monday 22 July 2019 11.24pm
Interesting. It's a valid observation isn't it? The best thing for the environment would be significantly fewer human beings. You only have to walk along the South Bank on a sunny Saturday afternoon to realise.
Tuesday 23 July 2019 8.24am
I have often said this to friends and family. However, most have said no politicians would say it for fear of losing votes and being branded a bit of a 'Nazi'. It's a shame as it should be looked on as a positive thing to do. People should be happy with a maximum of 2 or 3 children. So our government should limit child benefit to 3 children. If you want more, you fund them yourself. Before anyone says anything, obviously there would always be allowances for those who have twins, triplets etc. Finally, not forgetting that this would apply to future births (giving a year's notice) and existing 'large' families would all still get the child benefit they already receive.
Tuesday 23 July 2019 10.40am
Shiv - funnily enough the current child benefit rules are for a maximum of 2 children, you get no additional for having more than 2. Personally I think that's sensible.
The average birth rate per woman in Britain is around 2. The Office of National Statistics have some great info: link. According to them, UK population growth in 2017 was one-third new births (c.150,000) and two-thirds net immigration. So in this country you could argue the birth rate isn't urgently in need of control. Actively reducing the human population in any other way would probably be a bit controversial though.
Tuesday 23 July 2019 12.35pm
If someone has 1 child, you can't stop them having a 2nd child. Or a third. What we can do is raise children like Greta Thunberg, a role model. Extinction Rebellion are here now. Much more effective than wasting more precious time trying to get convince "politicians and religions to agree amongst themselves" that birth control is the way to go re climate changes. By the time they "agree amongst themselves", Extinction Rebellions' proposals would already be implemented and working. Can't see the likes of Rees Mogg advocating birth control. Or BoJo.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions