London SE1 community website

Climate protesters.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Current: 11 of 11
Tuesday 23 July 2019 3.52pm
PeteStaples wrote:
Shiv - funnily enough the current child benefit rules are for a maximum of 2 children, you get no additional for having more than 2. Personally I think that's sensible.
The average birth rate per woman in Britain is around 2. The Office of National Statistics have some great info: link. According to them, UK population growth in 2017 was one-third new births (c.150,000) and two-thirds net immigration. So in this country you could argue the birth rate isn't urgently in need of control. Actively reducing the human population in any other way would probably be a bit controversial though.
Tuesday 23 July 2019 4.47pm
PeteStaples wrote:
Actively reducing the human population in any other way would probably be a bit controversial though.

Someone did once suggest that a series of surgical nuclear strikes aimed at a dozen of the largest and wealthiest cities in the western world would, in the long term, be beneficial for the human race and for the planet as a whole. Kill off the greediest, petrol-guzzling, plastic waste producing, profligate part of humanity. After all, fifty kids born in a poor village in Africa will probably, in their short lives, between all of them use up less of the world's limited resources than one kid born in SE1.
Tuesday 23 July 2019 7.01pm
Do you know what ? I reckon in the UK the powers that be will start at the other end of the life span . There will shed loads of hand wringing and blahdiblah..moral compasses etc etc at the Comedy Playhouse (aka Houses of Parliament ) and stage 1 in the process will emerge ie The Voluntary Euthanasia ( over the hill mob)Act.

Whether it will happen in this old Geezer's lifespan time will tell but let's be honest , one day we are going to have to follow Nature's rules currently applying to non humans at some stage.

Any takers for my usual "Life is six to five against" bet on this one?
Tuesday 23 July 2019 7.19pm
What about something along the lines of seventies sci-fi classic, Logan's Run: everyone is euthanised when they turn 30? But you're all raised to believe it's a great privilege. Admittedly I'd be a few years dead now, and I'm guessing most of us on here would too.

It was an idea that seemed quite plausible when I was a teenager.
Tuesday 23 July 2019 7.53pm
PeteStaples wrote:
What about something along the lines of seventies sci-fi classic, Logan's Run: everyone is euthanised when they turn 30? But you're all raised to believe it's a great privilege. Admittedly I'd be a few years dead now, and I'm guessing most of us on here would too.
It was an idea that seemed quite plausible when I was a teenager.

Go further back to the sixties and there was Tom Courtenay in a Billy Liar fantasy world . He could sure use a tommy gun as a euthanasia tool. A right laugh then but of course I had just got to the "key of the door" stage of life.

No thoughts then about how we can address the carrying capacity problems of our respective countries.

Now we have to step up to the plate and get real
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Current: 11 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions