London SE1 community website

Climate protesters.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11
Thursday 18 April 2019 8.14am
Simon Mouncey wrote:
I can assure people there was coordination with the Police, NHS and Hospitals. It was the LAS who suggested Waterloo Bridge and keep Lambeth Bridge open
. I knew nothing about this proposed demo and to my knowledge all local Southbank bridges are affected...it's ghastly and unbelievably intimidating..wouldn't happen in Spain etc....the people and police would withstand for it! We as a country are far too soft and easy with these critters
Cotswolds 12
Thursday 18 April 2019 8.39am
And people are wondering why "REAL CRIMES" are not being investigated when our police force are baby sitting these people on the streets. I'm sure some of them work, but for those that don't I wish my taxes were being spent on other important thing other than their benefits to keep them housed and fed.
Thursday 18 April 2019 10.06am
Thebunhouse wrote:
The climate protesters are protesting about lack of action in this country and the lack of transparency by our government, so China, Russia, N.Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran are not the places for their protests but here on Waterloo Bridge and Oxford Circus
I see no masks, balaclavas or black flags. so, where you, Paramount, see Anarchists I only witness protesters who are proud to show themselves and be identified publicly. They are rather genteel in their demonstrations and demands.

In general I support non-violent public demonstrations and I support this one in particular.

We older folk must not allow the media and politicians to separate us from the young, who are going to inherit the world we are leaving them, for the young are our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren and if we only think of the future of our own kith and kin then we must applaud the enviroment protesters who are, unselfishly, doing it for all of us.

Hear hear
Thursday 18 April 2019 10.17am
They are not genteel.. They are a pain in the rear....Spanish police would have done the necessary by now!

Cotswolds 12
Thursday 18 April 2019 10.37am
The air quality is now suffering with backed up diverted traffic etc causing worse pollution.....thanks a bunch PROTESTERS!lol. Where are the police e horses and countless police vehicles around St James Park on recent BREXIT ral ly....the priorities seem shall flawed a o.k. found

Cotswolds 12
Thursday 18 April 2019 10.38am
The air quality is now suffering with backed up diverted traffic etc causing worse pollution.....thanks a bunch PROTESTERS!lol. Where are the police e horses and countless police vehicles around St James Park on recent BREXIT ral ly....the priorities seem shall flawed a o.k. found We in Southbank are being suffocated by traffic.....Act now before deaths occur

Cotswolds 12
Thursday 18 April 2019 10.58am
I was at Guys yesterday for scan. Next week I have two more appointments, one neurology, and another oncology so I sincerely hope the protest is over. Otherwise I support a lot of people trying to change the world for the better. Now having left school at fifteen sixty plus years ago my memory for certain things has lapsed. I remember playing in the streets without fear of being 'run over'as my Mum would say. But watched a programme saying the biggest source of C O 2 was the sea, did I get that wrong? The wonderful David Bellamy a scientist etc. Stated that global warming was not man made, but naturally occurence, think he lost work from BBC..I'm not a fool I know politiciańs and organisations hide things from general public ..on a Need to Know basis.

One thing has just struck me, if the emphasis will be on producing more electric vehicles will that mean more Power Stations? Nuclear or otherwise to generate that power?

I will try to sort those photos out James of all the protesters over the city, all of which seemed to me were young well spoken uni students, I wonder if they are now one of society they despised...investment bankers! The Police over the years Paramount have had their tied by politicians, lawyers. In the old days youcommitted a criminal act you'd be punished. Stop and search stopped many assaults crimes...police now only have 24 hours to hold suspect in police custody even for murder! Then they have to release them! Lily livered money grabbing politicians...
Thursday 18 April 2019 4.14pm
Paramount wrote:
The air quality is now suffering with backed up diverted traffic etc causing worse pollution.....thanks a bunch PROTESTERS!lol. Where are the police e horses and countless police vehicles around St James Park on recent BREXIT ral ly....the priorities seem shall flawed a o.k. found

The pro-Brexit marchers included a lit of aggressive far-right people who arrested for attacking members of the emergency service. The climate protesters don't resort to that thuggish, anti-social, cowardly behaviour. You are out of touch.
Thursday 18 April 2019 8.11pm
Their demands are admirable and they're very polite.

But they are either naive or radical - naive to expect the current government to do anything beyond (failing to) deliver on Brexit or, as I think, radical. They're opportunistic and trying to seize the news agenda while we barely have a functioning government. But also their demands are off the scale.

They have been implying that it will simply involves some "middle class pain" like fewer Deliveroo deliveries and cutting back on foreign holidays but to get to zero net carbon by 2025 would entail fundamental changes to land use, agricultureand industry and require new skills to be formed, training provided and jobs created.

The Centre for Alternative Technologies published (https://www.cat.org.uk/info-resources/zero-carbon-britain/) a roadmap to zero carbon by 2030 which included doubling the area of forest in the UK, massive increases in wind turbines, turning over 75pc of grazing farmland to biomass and nut production, cutting cement production... Let alone the changes to gas networks, transport networks, and industrial emissions. The CAT did not suggest trying to do all that by 2025 and no government would be elected on that manifesto yet that is what Londoners are being held to ransom for.

It took as long to build the London 2012 Olympics, a world beating engineering and sporting project costing £9bn on a patch of land in east London (6yrs) as the time they are demanding that an entire country turns zero carbon.
Thursday 18 April 2019 10.22pm
Paramount wrote:
They are not genteel.. They are a pain in the rear....Spanish police would have done the necessary by now!

The day British police deal with peaceful protesters the way their Spanish counterparts do, will be a very sad day indeed...

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions