London SE1 community website

Climate protesters.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11
Friday 19 April 2019 9.31pm
Paramount wrote:
That is not the point.. When I was a child I was encouraged actively by my parents to lend devote my mind and energies to more restful child like pursuits. Politics should be reserved for proper adults. The actress Emma what's a name is a trouble maker incidentally

That is your parents' prerogative. That doesn't make them more right or wrong than other parents. And who gets to decide what makes "proper adults"? You? With what right? Sounds very undemocratic. And Emma Thompson is entitled to her opinion as much as you. In what way is she a trouble maker? Does she attack emergency services workers, like those pro-Brexit protesters? I think it is very responsible especially of the younger extinction rebellion protesters, who don't just think about their own but also future generations.
Friday 19 April 2019 10.06pm
Paramount wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Is David Attenborough naive or a radical?
David.. lovely chappie but bit innocent!

On the contrary: he has been experiencing first hand for decades how climate and changes to it affect the world and what causes those changes. Few people know more about it than him. Just because he shares his unparalleled experience in a calm, civilised manner, not unlike the protesters, that doesn't make him innocent either.
Friday 19 April 2019 10.14pm
The protesters are NOT like the suffragettes who didn't have the vote....but these people do and can vote Green party etc....although last time I looked were not especially popular but do have one rather strident feisty female MP..and only one..from memory..Caroline Lucas?

Cotswolds 12
Friday 19 April 2019 10.26pm
tone wrote:
Anyone who watched the BBC programme on Climate Change last night should accept that the impending catastrophe is the only game in town and that the problem is man made. No fake news in that programme. The Extinction Rebellion international protests are reflecting the importance of this in their own way.
I see no difference between their passionate stance and those of the early Trade Unions worker formation and the women's Suffragette movement. They had to resort to similar tactics( indeed ,in many cases, a more violent approach ) to make their valid points
. These are not disenfr franchised citizens....They have the vote presumably and should therefore act in a mature manner and confine their activities to the nursery playground teletubbies on a real garden bridge..oh oh!!!!
Friday 19 April 2019 10.49pm
Paramount wrote:
boris wrote:
You hoping for a return of a Franco regime style baton charge?
I must admit those 10 year olds I witnessed on Marble Arch today. colouring pictures in do present a radical danger and a vile obstruction.
That is not the point.. When I was a child I was encouraged actively by my parents to lend devote my mind and energies to more restful child like pursuits. Politics should be reserved for proper adults. The actress Emma what's a name is a trouble maker incidentally

I take it that, clearly, your parents did not encourage you to study history, or join a debating society (something that is very good for the development of children and young adults).

I think we can all learn something from 15 year old Greta Thunberg, here speaking at a United Nations conference:

SE1 You tube
Saturday 20 April 2019 8.11am
Paramount wrote:
These are not disenfr franchised citizens....They have the vote presumably and should therefore act in a mature manner and confine their activities to the nursery playground teletubbies on a real garden bridge..oh oh!!!!

In a democracy, whether they are/feel disenfranchised is their call to make, not yours. Again, mature by whose standards? Yours? Measured by your "nursery playground teletubbies on a real garden bridge..oh oh!!!!" comment? Hardly. Also, based on your post history, e.g.your comments about Emma Thompson and Caroline Lucas, I can't help thinking you'd have been just as disrespectful and dismissive of suffragettes, had you lived in their times.
Saturday 20 April 2019 8.30am
One reason the police don't wade in on the protesters as some wish on here is that teh protesters don't pose a threat. They obstruct and for that they get removed. Also, a policeman on TV this morning said that although the police can't engage in part politics, they are not immune from climate change, which is largely accepted to be a threat to our planet.
Saturday 20 April 2019 8.50am
Paramount wrote:
tone wrote:
Anyone who watched the BBC programme on Climate Change last night should accept that the impending catastrophe is the only game in town and that the problem is man made. No fake news in that programme. The Extinction Rebellion international protests are reflecting the importance of this in their own way.
I see no difference between their passionate stance and those of the early Trade Unions worker formation and the women's Suffragette movement. They had to resort to similar tactics( indeed ,in many cases, a more violent approach ) to make their valid points
. These are not disenfr franchised citizens....They have the vote presumably and should therefore act in a mature manner and confine their activities to the nursery playground teletubbies on a real garden bridge..oh oh!!!!
Sure they they have the vote . I have the vote but it doesn't mean to say I shouldn't protest against the closure of public libraries or campaign for the Abolition of Private Landlordism etc.
Well,Paramount,it is a beautiful Saturday morning and I am off to the local
woodlands to see the bluebells , wood anemone etc etc. If I meet any disenfranchised tellytubbies standing on a wooden bridge across a valley stream I will let you know

As my grandpappy used to say..Life is 6 to 5 against and is a Nice Price; enjoy it while you can...

In the meantime we will have to agree to disagree
Saturday 20 April 2019 12.12pm
We must act robustly now against these reprobates...how dare they try hold us to ransome! NO NO NO !!!!! Police have asked other forces for help and hopefully government will act effectively whatever it takes..to end this criminal farcical behaviour...
Saturday 20 April 2019 12.54pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Paramount wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Is David Attenborough naive or a radical?
David.. lovely chappie but bit innocent!

On the contrary: he has been experiencing first hand for decades how climate and changes to it affect the world and what causes those changes. Few people know more about it than him. Just because he shares his unparalleled experience in a calm, civilised manner, not unlike the protesters, that doesn't make him innocent either.
You know him? He was my colleague at one stage... I repeat innocent but protesters have an agenda It is very bad timing and Holy Week also.. incredible
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions