London SE1 community website

Climate protesters.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11
Monday 22 April 2019 7.36pm
FomerCamberwellCarrot wrote:
Piers Corbyn is, at best, not the sharpest tool in the shed (and that's generous) - case in point: https://twitter.com/Piers_Corbyn/status/1118019958779338753

It's been interesting watching people who want an excuse to be angry and have their world view reinforced scream HYPOCRISY at the protesters for causing pollution (the jury is very much still out - see the London Air Quality Network's news post), or drinking out of plastic bottles (reminds me of Louise Mensch on HIGNFY), or leaving Hyde Park as a tip (to photos of the debris left by the 4/20 pro-cannabis picnic thing - and actually the ER protesters voluntarily helped to clean up...).

If you had gone down to take a look, you'd have seen it was actually a pretty chilled out, well-mannered protest that succeeded in raising the profile of the issue. Most of the people screaming about those inconvenienced seem not to have been directly affected - and plenty of people have been saying "actually really nice walking across Waterloo Bridge without the cars, much nicer for my commute". I'm sure there might be a couple of people with mobility issues who can't walk/cycle/use the tube who were impacted, and that sucks, but happens every day with road traffic accidents (or, you know, decaying public infrastructure).

Good on the kids, I say.
The Pagan Pixies even left banners at Piers brother house... JC.. one of life's eternal protesters normally.. completely lost now some form of maturity is required of him.. not a peep! Mind you he may have mumbled something along the way and I missed it... as he is not one of life's great orators... I feel if he were elected to power.. there would be an unseemly hasty leadership contest scramble from John McDonnell or Uncle Tom... or Keir Starmer...
Monday 22 April 2019 9.39pm
Environmental Epilogue for this Easter Monday evening

I quote from a report that is concerned that there are people who are not too bothered about replenishing the resources they are depleting so long as they are making money

".....Present needs and present gains was the rule of action- which seems to be a sort of transmitted quality which we in our enlightened time have not wholly outgrown , for even now a few men can be found who seem willing to destroy the last tree , the last fish and the last game bird and animal , and leave nothing for posterity , if thereby some money can be made."

The above is an extract from a report by the State Fish and Game Commissioner of North Dakota in 1894

...No, that is not a typo...that's 1894

Is it any wonder Extinction Rebellion want the World's Big Cheeses to get their skates on.
Tuesday 23 April 2019 12.15pm
tone wrote:
Environmental Epilogue for this Easter Monday evening
I quote from a report that is concerned that there are people who are not too bothered about replenishing the resources they are depleting so long as they are making money

".....Present needs and present gains was the rule of action- which seems to be a sort of transmitted quality which we in our enlightened time have not wholly outgrown , for even now a few men can be found who seem willing to destroy the last tree , the last fish and the last game bird and animal , and leave nothing for posterity , if thereby some money can be made."

The above is an extract from a report by the State Fish and Game Commissioner of North Dakota in 1894

...No, that is not a typo...that's 1894

Is it any wonder Extinction Rebellion want the World's Big Cheeses to get their skates on.

Astonishing! Thank you for sharing.
Thursday 25 April 2019 8.47pm
What these 10 days of peaceful protest have shown is that EVERYBODY can start offsetting their carbon footprint NOW.
Thursday 2 May 2019 5.34pm
Paramount wrote:
JC.. one of life's eternal protesters normally.. completely lost now some form of maturity is required of him.. not a peep! Mind you he may have mumbled something along the way and I missed it... as he is not one of life's great orators....

He's spoken now and Parliament listened.
Friday 3 May 2019 8.54am
[quote eDWaRD WooDWaRD][quote Paramount] JC.. one of life's eternal protesters normally.. completely lost now some form of maturity is required of him.. not a peep! Mind you he may have mumbled something along the way and I missed it... as he is not one of life's great orators....[/quote]

He's spoken now and Parliament listened.[/quota ] Well Miss Greta etc.. fleetingly.. Parliament is full of careerists and as Tony Benn opined... still the last place to get the message.May 23rd is looming.. and I trust a big BREXIT win will stop all this nonsense!
Friday 3 May 2019 11.46am
[quote Paramount][quote eDWaRD WooDWaRD][quote Paramount] JC.. one of life's eternal protesters normally.. completely lost now some form of maturity is required of him.. not a peep! Mind you he may have mumbled something along the way and I missed it... as he is not one of life's great orators....[/quote]

He's spoken now and Parliament listened.[/quota ] Well Miss Greta etc.. fleetingly.. Parliament is full of careerists and as Tony Benn opined... still the last place to get the message.May 23rd is looming.. and I trust a big BREXIT win will stop all this nonsense![/quote]

Many of your peers expected a big result from these elections. That didn't work out so now you pin your hopes on the EU elections. I would like to hear from you how you would like those to impact on Brexit, whichever way way they go.
Saturday 4 May 2019 12.16pm
Paramount wrote:
May 23rd is looming.. and I trust a big BREXIT win will stop all this nonsense!

The voters abandoned Con and Labour in favour of parties supporting a People's Vote.

In another example of their doublespeak and spin, both May and Corbyn have announced the message they got from the vote: 'We must get on and deliver Brexit'.
Sunday 5 May 2019 6.48pm
I was 72 and a quarter when the people of Britain voted leave. I am now 75 and a quarter almost. At this rate of knots Brexit and my Birthday card from the Queen will happen the same day. Getting on with Brexit eh?
Sunday 5 May 2019 9.52pm
Well Jan, the Queen's writing may be a bit spidery 'cos she will be knocking on about 118 by the time you and I hit the big one-double-o.

Let's hope the climate is such that it don't rain on our parade. !
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions