London SE1 community website

Climate protesters.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11
Monday 6 May 2019 10.03pm
Lol young Tone....the way her majesty is going she's amazing...She will be making a birthday cake For Me! Seriously how she stands such a while at various functions is incredible...I used to envy her when I was much younger, now I realise to be at work every day of your adult life, listen to so many boring speeches ...the mind boggles..
Saturday 11 May 2019 5.25pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
What these 10 days of peaceful protest have shown is that EVERYBODY can start offsetting their carbon footprint NOW.
I have not flown since 1995
Saturday 11 May 2019 6.31pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Lol young Tone....the way her majesty is going she's amazing...She will be making a birthday cake For Me! Seriously how she stands such a while at various functions is incredible...I used to envy her when I was much younger, now I realise to be at work every day of your adult life, listen to so many boring speeches ...the mind boggles..
and those awful tours..:)) and royal variety shows etc
Cotswolds 12
Sunday 12 May 2019 4.40am
Paramount wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
What these 10 days of peaceful protest have shown is that EVERYBODY can start offsetting their carbon footprint NOW.

Perhaps Emma Thompson could take a leaf out of your book. She's of the mind set , do what I say and not what I do.
I heard her on radio 4 saying she was lucky that she can off set her carbon foot print. (I pay for trees to be planted)
Sunday 12 May 2019 9.47am
scooter wrote:
Paramount wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Perhaps Emma Thompson could take a leaf out of your book. She's of the mind set , do what I say and not what I do.
I heard her on radio 4 saying she was lucky that she can off set her carbon foot print. (I pay for trees to be planted)

How would she do her job then? No one expects a cabbie to stop doing their job for the sake of the climate, should we expect Thompson to stop doing hers? Personally I feel it's not about what I do or don't do, but about what else I can do, or to make up for what I do do. I walk to work every day, and walk anywhere I can get to in under 1 hour , including GP and hospital appointments, put on a jumper rather than turning on the heating etc. Little things. Doesn't make me an eco warrior or a climate saint and I think I could do much more but I try, and not because thompson tells me to but it's stupid not do anything because thompson annoys you. I do it because I think it's right. The only celebrities I might listen to are those I think know what they're talking about, e.g. Chris Packham and David Attenborough.
Sunday 12 May 2019 7.22pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
scooter wrote:
Paramount wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

How would she do her job then? No one expects a cabbie to stop doing their job for the sake of the climate, should we expect Thompson to stop doing hers? Personally I feel it's not about what I do or don't do, but about what else I can do, or to make up for what I do do. I walk to work every day, and walk anywhere I can get to in under 1 hour , including GP and hospital appointments, put on a jumper rather than turning on the heating etc. Little things. Doesn't make me an eco warrior or a climate saint and I think I could do much more but I try, and not because thompson tells me to but it's stupid not do anything because thompson annoys you. I do it because I think it's right. The only celebrities I might listen to are those I think know what they're talking about, e.g. Chris Packham and David Attenborough.
Cabs are often clean fuel and planes use far more fuel obviously
Sunday 12 May 2019 9.35pm
[quote Paramount][/quote]Cabs are often clean fuel and planes use far more fuel obviously[/quote]

Cabs often only carry one person (as do most cars, by the looks of it), planes are usually full obviously. Your comparison is wonky.

Using the averaged data, two people in a car emit roughly the same amount of carbon as they would by flying. If you have three people, driving is about 15 percent more efficient. A family of four in a car cuts their carbon footprint in half over air travel.

In other words, it is true that air travel is less carbon-intense now that more people are fitting on planes. But if you are choosing between flying and driving with more than one person ó or, even better, in a hybrid car ó itís more environmentally friendly to pile into the car. Problem is - barely anyone piles into a car.
Wednesday 15 May 2019 9.38am
I dropped off then..Yawn...
Cops upping their game on demos etc now...quite right too... zero tolerance for scallywags! One on LBC this morning with Ferrari who "chose not to work!" if you like....very nice too!!!
No more fraternising with enemy
Climate change has been with us naturally since Genesis....

Cotswolds 12
Wednesday 15 May 2019 10.02am
Idly looking through Baker Ross catalogue which is full of wonderful creative ideas for children,playgroups etc. I was not happy to see loads of Foam kits. Which will end up in landfill. The plastic bits as well including plastic lolly sticks. Hand in hand with my dislike of sequins, glitter was a kit with micro polystyrene beads in a plasticine mixture .

Waffling over..for now!
Wednesday 15 May 2019 10.29am
Paramount wrote:
I dropped off then..Yawn...

And there was me making an effort to pay you some attention, as that seems so important to you. Oh well.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions