London SE1 community website

Climate protesters.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11
Wednesday 15 May 2019 1.02pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
What these 10 days of peaceful protest have shown is that EVERYBODY can start offsetting their carbon footprint NOW.

Sorry to dredge this point back up again but I'm not sure this was the main message of the protest, was it?

Carbon offsetting is a bit of a thorny issue, similar in some respects to recycling: it's much more effective to reduce the amount of waste / carbon in the first place than try to make up for it afterwards. Better than doing nothing, well-intentioned and all that, but probably not the preferred environmental approach.

I did offset the emissions for a long-distance car event last year but wasn't entirely comfortable with the concept.

A bit of background reading if anyone is interested: https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/energy/short-guide-carbon-offsets
2011 Guardian article
Wednesday 15 May 2019 1.25pm
PeteStaples wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
What these 10 days of peaceful protest have shown is that EVERYBODY can start offsetting their carbon footprint NOW.

Sorry to dredge this point back up again but I'm not sure this was the main message of the protest, was it? ]

What I took away from it is to raise more awareness and to hopefully inspire more people to do their bit, whatever that bit is.
Monday 15 July 2019 1.36pm
Just read on The Times site that the climate protesters have put a boat in front of the Royal Courts of Justice and then intend to bring it down to Waterloo. Presumably they mean Millennium Green:

"A spokesman for the group said the boat would be towed this evening to a green by the Old Vic theatre near Waterloo."

I fear they'll be disappointed if the plan was to sail it in the pond.

(Article behind paywall)
Tuesday 16 July 2019 3.08pm
just FYI, the XR protesters currently on the Green are fundraising internally to donate money to BoST
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/xrwaterloogreen

Anyone interested in hearing Gail Bradbrook speak, she is on at 5pm
Wednesday 17 July 2019 8.09am
Thebunhouse wrote:
The climate protesters are protesting about lack of action in this country and the lack of transparency by our government, so China, Russia, N.Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran are not the places for their protests but here on Waterloo Bridge and Oxford Circus
I see no masks, balaclavas or black flags. so, where you, Paramount, see Anarchists I only witness protesters who are proud to show themselves and be identified
publicly. They are rather genteel in their demonstrations and demands.

In general I support non-violent public demonstrations and I support this one in particular.

We older folk must not allow the media and politicians to separate us from the young, who are going to inherit the world we are leaving them, for the young are our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren and if we only think of the future of our own kith and kin then we must applaud the enviroment protesters who are, unselfishly, doing it for all of us.
Its alright to pontificate from our armchairs or deckchairs but some of us ARE in the firing line and KNOW what we maintain
Wednesday 17 July 2019 8.14am
What about the environment...Toilet facilities etc? Must get pretty stinky...especially in this hot weather...I trust Lambeth Council and The Police will not be too soft on this occasion
Wednesday 17 July 2019 1.19pm
Paramount wrote:
What about the environment...Toilet facilities etc? Must get pretty stinky...especially in this hot weather...I trust Lambeth Council and The Police will not be too soft on this occasion

I've not been around to have a look, but the Extinction Rebellion organised toilets when they occupied Waterloo Bridge a few months ago. I'm guessing that they'd do the same this time; they're pretty well organised.

Have you been there to see what the situation is, Paramount?
Thursday 18 July 2019 12.08pm
Thank you, Paramount, for responding to my post of three months ago.
I do hope that I do not 'pontificate' because I am not a Pontiff and recognise that I am fallible and am quite often wrong.
I do not own an armchair and do not have a lawn, or even garden, in which to sit in a deckchair musing about what has become of our world and what we should do about it.

Protesting peacefully could be one answer.

But not if Paramount has his way.
I could not face: Water canons, Spanish police or their methods-we remember Franco do we not? A hardened police action and now Paramount's latest jape - TEAR GAS.

I live close to Millennium Green/Emma Cons Gardens where the boat was docked yesterday when I went there and was met by people of goodwill, even the police seemed more relaxed than normal despite the uncalled for large numbers. Traffic flowed easily. the campsite was arranged in a most orderly fashion.
I admire the protesters even more now.
Friday 19 July 2019 2.15pm
To Rambling Phil.
Sorry I lost your post but my response to your question is as follows:-
Yes I had the misfortune to be within earshot and eyes hot of these ghastly apparitions a march demo yesterday afternoon accompanied by police as usual...I made my points as forcefully ad I could against the megaphone/s etc.what a noise and obstruction of pedestrians and traffic....I was attempting to get to a St Thomas Hospital appointment but these protesters appear not to care if someone has a stroke or heart attack...just carry on regardless...As I told the cops yesterday."it's rubbish" literally and metaphorically ...perhaps

Cotswolds 12
Friday 19 July 2019 7.08pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Now I know these protesters have had to have time off work to attend this rally. But have they thought about hospital patients who attend St.Thomas's Hospital or Guys for essential treatment such as Dialysis or Chemotherapy there? Bridge blocking means patients are extremely at risk, climate change has gone on for millions of years as had been proved by various scientist. They would have more backing if they stopped production of wrapping things in plastic that don't need to be. Proteste against lenient sentences for fly tipping. I remember massive demonstration in the city against capitalism, greed,bankers,consumer ation. They spray painted many beautiful buildings, and threw all the McDonald wrappers,coffee cups in the road for the poor sweepers to pick up. Will look for photos I had taken..
One Bristol gent was delayed by 1 hour getting to hospital..to be with his dying Father...how DARE they pose as compassionate in any shape or form
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions