London SE1 community website

Climate protesters.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Current: 9 of 9
Wednesday 15 May 2019 1.02pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
What these 10 days of peaceful protest have shown is that EVERYBODY can start offsetting their carbon footprint NOW.

Sorry to dredge this point back up again but I'm not sure this was the main message of the protest, was it?

Carbon offsetting is a bit of a thorny issue, similar in some respects to recycling: it's much more effective to reduce the amount of waste / carbon in the first place than try to make up for it afterwards. Better than doing nothing, well-intentioned and all that, but probably not the preferred environmental approach.

I did offset the emissions for a long-distance car event last year but wasn't entirely comfortable with the concept.

A bit of background reading if anyone is interested: https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/energy/short-guide-carbon-offsets
2011 Guardian article
Wednesday 15 May 2019 1.25pm
PeteStaples wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
What these 10 days of peaceful protest have shown is that EVERYBODY can start offsetting their carbon footprint NOW.

Sorry to dredge this point back up again but I'm not sure this was the main message of the protest, was it? ]

What I took away from it is to raise more awareness and to hopefully inspire more people to do their bit, whatever that bit is.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Current: 9 of 9
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions