London SE1 community website

Easter Sunday - Devizes to Westminster non-stop canoe race

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 17 April 2019 4.20pm
Just wanted to make people aware of this gruelling race which ends at Westminster Bridge every Easter Sunday i.e. this coming Sunday!

The entrants exit the river at the steps outside the old County Hall, between Westminster Bridge & the London Eye (hence the SE1 connection).

Participants row non-stop from Wiltshire to London, have to get out & carry canoes round locks on the way & then survive whatever the popular end of the Thames can throw at them.

Whilst times vary the first crews tend to arrive between 7.30am & 9am, but don’t hold me to that!

I stumbled upon them by luck one year when it actually looked like a rescue as some capsized in final few yards due to other boat activity.

Whilst they deserve a rapturous welcome there are only a hardy bunch connected with the race, supporters of crews & the odd passers by to greet them, which always seems a shame.

So if you are planning a walk on Sunday please think of giving these hardy souls a cheer along the South Bank.

If there are any major issues affecting the running of the race these will appear on http://dwrace.co.uk/ website

I have no other connection with the race other than been a sometime supporters of it who worked in SE1 for many years!

Happy Easter!
Friday 19 April 2019 10.30am
Oh how I miss SE1...
Sunday 21 April 2019 2.04pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Oh how I miss SE1...
It was a glorious morning to match the event!
Monday 22 April 2019 9.10am
I wish I could have seen it Jillpne...did you manage to take any photos?
Jan the one..in exile!
Tuesday 23 April 2019 4.46pm
I only took one photo & don’t seem to be able to load it.

On a more sober note one of yesterday’s (Monday’s) canoeists died - the first in the races 71 year history. No details available but understand it was younger canoeists doing courses in stages.

Gutted for the organisers as their organisation is second to none.
Tuesday 23 April 2019 8.14pm
Oh Jillpne, how terrible..was it accident with canoe or illness?just read that back annd realised no details. Heartbreaking for all concerned. Sorry.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions