London SE1 community website

Plants

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 23 April 2019 4.44pm
I need to buy some plants for containers (baskets, window boxes, etc.). Is there anywhere locally selling healthy specimens at reasonable prices? Knowledgeable assistants would be a plus, too. Suggestions/recommendations appreciated. Thanks.
Wednesday 24 April 2019 9.41am
Lidl and Aldi have these types of plants at very reasonable prices, but you won't get any expert advice.

I always raid the discounted plants trolly at B & Q, they will have packs of plants, with a few dried up or looking a bit forlorn, but they soon perk up with a bit of TLC, and you can get the plants much cheaper. The assistants will know something about the plants too

What advice do you need? Pick some plants you like the look of, check whether you want trailing or upright, and what sun level is needed on the label, plant, water regularly and feed once they are flowering. The rest is magic :-)
Wednesday 24 April 2019 1.17pm
Should you require quality plants - perennials and annuals I would suggest The Nunhead Gardener.

As part of my supply chain as a professional Horticulturist and Gardener to Highgate - Hampstead - Chelsea amongst others they have an interesting choice.

Boma in Kentish Town are a great boutique nursery too.

Leighton James Giles
Wednesday 24 April 2019 4.04pm
There are a couple of very cheap traders at East street market on Sunday mornings.
I have also meant to go to the New Covent Garden market in Vauxhall for years but I never managed to get up early...
Wednesday 24 April 2019 4.51pm
I have used Alleyns Park garden centre and you can get there on the bus (3). There is also Croxted Road garden centre but I am not sure it is open all week. Both have experienced assistants
Wednesday 24 April 2019 7.36pm
Columbia road on Sunday morning.
Go to B&Q for advice, make a note of what you want and toddle off to Columbia road.
Lidl & Aldi are good and cheap .
Wednesday 24 April 2019 9.08pm
Wow! This is great! Thanks everyone.
My main concern is that my place faces North and is overshadowed by buildings, so low light levels and it never gets full sun. It manages to look sad even on a sunny day, so really needs a bit of cheering up.
The back is a comparative breeze, but the front is a bit of a challenge (for me, at least), hence the need for advice.
Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.
Wednesday 24 April 2019 10.29pm
Ferns - Hellebores - Skimmia Japonica - Muehlenbeckia - hide some Narcissus in Autumn.

Kind of planting Id do for Bond Street and which are shade tolerant.
Thursday 25 April 2019 11.54am
I have also just remembered this nice little place, Spring Garden nursery, located on an old parking lot at the corner of Black Prince Road and Newport Street. They are very friendly and knowledgeable. https://www.plants-for-sale-vauxhall.co.uk/
Thursday 25 April 2019 12.45pm
Hi I posted yesterday in the Introductions section of the forum but I wondered if I might be more likely to find somebody who may be interested within this thread, so I thought perhaps I should cut and paste my post from yesterday. Hope this is OK.

My name is Tom and I've lived in Waterloo since 1982 so I suppose you could say I'm getting on a bit. I've been very lucky to have lived in one of the Coin Street c0-ops for the past 25 years (and in another one of the co-ops for 6 years before that). I'm also lucky to have a tiny garden but unfortunately I'm hopeless at gardening! We've had some good years in the past but our little borders and our balcony are desperately in need of some expertise! I don't mind putting in the work, digging where I'm told, cutting back, watering etc, but I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I know there are people in our area who would love to have a garden to tend. WOULD ANYBODY FANCY HELPING OUT IN MINE?! This could be on a paid basis or a bartering of skills basis - I'm pretty OK with computers for example.
I'd love to hear from anyone in the area. I think it's brilliant that we have this amazing community in our area, and maybe this is yet another way in which we can mutually benefit.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions