London SE1 community website

Express Supersave Food & Wine

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 25 April 2019 4.07pm
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone knew what the Express Supersave Food & Wine on the corner of Webber and Blackfriars road was being turned in to. I've lived in the area for 30 years and it's been sad to see old businesses (though this wasn't the oldest) come and go. Hoping it's not another coffee shop or burger place though!
Friday 26 April 2019 10.06am
I live near there and think it's going to be offices. That is only based on what Charlie's son (never knew his name!) told me, and having peeped in at the work going on.
It's a large space so I'd be surprised if it was any sort of shop again. Bearing in mind that the new 'Blackfriars circus' building still has empty retail / restaurant units.

Personally I'd love to see another friendly independent newsagent / off-licence but that would clearly be doomed to fail!
Monday 29 April 2019 7.00am
Newsagents/Tobacconists are doomed by the dual effect of the collapse in circulation of printed media and the steady decline in smoking, which, of course, is exacerbated by the steady death rates of the smokers themselves. Despite the ubiquitous presence of mass market confectionary and snacks in such stores, the profits for such products are not enough to keep a significant store that has only these to rely on open in any marginal location that cannot rely on a huge impulse buying trade walking past the door, which is why nearly all of these places also rely on booze for a significant part of their profits, which, when you think about it, makes for an odd mix where it comes to supplying the prime market for confectionary (children), not unlike having it being sold as a side line in betting shops and sex shops.
Monday 29 April 2019 8.43pm
Hi Folks.
The waiting is coming to an end and the excitement is mounting.
I know you wont believe this but the latest news hot off the press is that
it is going to be......another Estate Agent.
Hooray.
Tuesday 30 April 2019 6.55pm
Oh great, just what we need!
Friday 3 May 2019 1.32am
Maybe they could do a sideline in newspapers, milk and tobacco? And ideally bottles of Old Peculier ale. It's a big shop. They could use an honesty box if they're all busy. I'll go in and suggest it when they're open.

Saying that, it was the variety that made Charlie's so useful. You can't buy 6 wine glasses, a shower hose, sandpaper and a toilet brush from Tesco Metro.
Wednesday 8 May 2019 4.10pm
NO ! FFS
Tuesday 4 June 2019 1.47pm
Apologies to all. I posted earlier that this was going to be an estate agents, as this is what I was told by the owner of the business next door.
However it is now occupied by a company called Mantra Capital.
Just to set the record straight.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions