London SE1 community website

Tower Bridge Road changes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 1 May 2019 3.51pm
I couldn't find a thread charting all the changes along Tower Bridge Road, so I thought I'd start one - as there seems to be a fair amount of activity at the moment.

Work on converting the former Pagoda pub / Hartley gastropub seemed to have stalled for quite a while but works are now back in full swing, with a rear extension in the offing to house seventeen aparthotel rooms; the ground floor to reopen as a pub with an all-day offering.

Sobo has bitten the dust and is being reborn as Earthsea, another cafe, the signage of which promises dinner as well as daytime stuff. The inside looks like it's been thoroughly refurbished, in contrast to previous changes of ownership at Sobo. My hopes have been slightly suppressed by the use of Brush Script font on the signage, which has never been a good portent in the past, but let's wait and see.

The newsagent on the corner of TBR, Bermondsey Street and Decima Street, formerly with The Sun signage, and whose demise was nothing if not protracted, is becoming something else. I don't know what but the frontage has been completely transformed.

At the Bricklayers Arms end, a long-dormant unit that once housed a convenience store is reopening as Holloways of Ludlow, a branch of an upmarket Midlands lighting shop. Odd location for it but I guess the rent must be cheap.

Opposite that, it looks as though Ole Navarro has breathed its last. And there's no sign of life at Rossi Burger, whose promise of 'opening soon' plastered across its windows and doors, rings increasingly hollow. Which is a shame. Because if it were open, and good, I'd be there very often indeed.
Friday 3 May 2019 1.22am
Excellent summary, thanks! I'm only an occasional visitor to TBR so this is very useful. Is the slightly ramshackle picture framer's still there? Can't remember the name. I used it to get some glass cut about 4 years ago and imagine it will have disappeared next time such a need arises.
Friday 3 May 2019 11.26am
Yes indeed, the framers is still there - Bijan Art.
Friday 3 May 2019 11.51am
LeaC wrote:
Yes indeed, the framers is still there - Bijan Art.

I got conned by them...Bijan art, be warned. He framed three prints for me a few years, charged 90 per frame and told me it was wood. Frames fell apart quickly so didn't put them up. Then just got them reframed and the person who did it this time noticed that the one Bigan has put on were from ikea - as the stickers were still on the back!
Friday 3 May 2019 2.35pm
More on Ole Navarro's closure: seems like it's because the building is being redeveloped as a four-storey block containing eight flats. A planning application has recently been submitted (ref. 19/AP/1098).
Jac
Saturday 4 May 2019 10.34am
This surprises me I have used Bijan Art many times over the years and have only ever had really good custom made frames from them
Sunday 5 May 2019 5.22pm
I used them too and never had a problem.
Tuesday 7 May 2019 1.42pm
Same here.
Tuesday 7 May 2019 4.18pm
Same here! Bijan has done lovely jobs for us over the years
Tuesday 7 May 2019 5.40pm
I have been Bijan's customer for 15 years and he has always delivered excellent work. Apart from that, he is a reliable and very nice man.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions