London SE1 community website

Recycling - Clothing & Electrics

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 4 May 2019 4.20pm
Does anyone have recommendations for how/where to recycle clothing and electronics in the SE1 area? I don't have a car so either needs to be a pickup service or close enough to taxi to. Do the big containers still exist by Waterloo Millennium Green?

I previously used Clothes for Charity which was very efficient but they seem to have gone out of business, but I would like the clothes to go to good use.

The electronics are a bunch of old household items (phones, coffee maker, keyboards etc) which I'm sure somewhere could make use of the components.

Thanks.
Tuesday 7 May 2019 12.38pm
I can't remember whether the clothing bins are still near Waterloo Green. If the clothes are in good enough condition, though, there are charity shops on Lower Marsh.

For electrical recycling, all of the local bins disappeared years ago. The only options I know of are:
i) take it to the Southwark Reuse and Recycling Centre (a long way down the Old Kent Road and then a few minutes walk from the bus stop) or
ii) take it to Camden's small electricals recycling bin in Red Lion Square (I last checked whether that was there some months ago)
iii) Drop them in general refuse for collection - given the lack of other options provided by the council, I presume that's their preference.
Tuesday 7 May 2019 5.48pm
I was reading recently that Curry's was taking old electronics. I also have a bag of old laptops and wires that I need recycling...Have not had the chance to pop down there yet.
Wednesday 8 May 2019 8.07am
By the time you go to Curry's, you may as well go to the council recycling centre, which is just up the road from the Old Kent Road branch. They will take anything short of nuclear waste and chemical weapons. The guys that work there are also really friendly and always willing to help.
Wednesday 8 May 2019 8.10am
Forgot to note that if you are visiting, you need a proof of address to demonstrate you are a resident of the borough and you can't just turn up in a van, ion that was the lift you could find . That needs to be booked online.
Thursday 9 May 2019 2.47am
British Heart Foundation on the Old Kent Road will take electrical items, clothes and general brick-a-brac and if you have a fair amount they will collect but you've usually got to wait in all day. TRAID will collect clothing and general items and I use them a lot as they collect in the evening and will give you a two hour time slot, I'm in a second floor flat with no lift in SE16 and the drivers have never complained about having to carry it all downstairs which a BHF driver did. TRAID will also collect small amounts as they are usually in the area, last time I booked they asked you to have at least one bin bag amount to donate but I usually try and get to about four before I call them. Hope this helps, link to the TRAID website below
http://www.traid.org.uk/clothes-donations/book-a-collection/
Sunday 19 May 2019 2.25pm
Curry's on Old Kent Road accepted a bunch of old electrical stuff from me - wires, routers etc. Very easy and I think a bit easier than heading to the recycling centre
Wednesday 22 May 2019 10.25pm
There is also a small electricals recycling bin on the way to Rotherhithe station, just by the entrance to the tunnel. Not SE1 I know, but might be accessible for some.
Thursday 23 May 2019 2.13pm
On chatterforum few weeks ago a lady has started a clothes library that would help reduce amount of clothes going into landfill. In Ruddington, seems to be big success. I posted on Chatter instead!

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions