London SE1 community website

Gang fight on Grange Walk last night?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 5 May 2019 5.24am
Just wondering if anyone else witnessed the goings on last night around Grange Walk, The Grange, Grange Road, and Spa Gardens. About fifty teenagers running around screaming, chasing each other, unclear exactly what was going on. Police showed up and searched a few of them opposite the Alaska building, and followed a few of them who had ran into corners of Spa Gardens. The owner of Amisha was out, understandably angry with what was happening (all the customers had gone inside).

I couldn't really tell if it was just kids being a bit hyperactive, or genuinely something a bit more serious. It appeared something had happened in grange walk, as the girls were all running out into grange road in a screaming panic, followed thirty seconds later by the boys, hoods up, running quite fast. I say girls and boys because that's all they were, depressingly they all looked about twelve years old... and even more depressing was the racial uniformity of the crowd, in a very mixed area of the city. I really hope they all went home after the cops showed up and nobody got injured.
Sunday 5 May 2019 4.20pm
I can't tell from this post whether this was a serious incident or not. Kids - around 12 years old - chasing each other in a park doesn't sound it but the title of this post is alarmist - Gang FIght. This is very speculative. I have lived on Spa Road for ten years and the crime I have seen (of which there has been a bit - touch wood nothing violent and I hope never will) - bikes stolen in front of me, our building bin store being set on fire by a group of girls, a man breaking into a parked car outside our flat - has all been white people. Are you saying that you don't know what was happening but it was a group of black kids so it is depressingly predictable that it must have been something bad? There has been a huge rise in knife crime in London, yes, not so much in this area, but the insinuation above that you fear the worse and are depressed at the groups racial make up makes me feel quite angry, especially based on my own experience living here.
Tuesday 7 May 2019 7.53pm
I heard third hand that two quite young black boys in total fear of their lives took refuge in a business premises for a while nearby around that time and mentioned people chasing them had knives.
Worrying trend especially on top of the stabbing death in elephant and castle.
Wednesday 8 May 2019 8.41am
Black or White is irrelevant , children are being forced into situations that society seems to ignore. Even if they are nice decent kids, the fear they must feel on the streets. The speed of which knives are used for some imagined slight..or lack of respect shown to some full of self importance little sod is terrifying.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions