London SE1 community website

Youth bikers on Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 8 May 2019 1.01pm
There seem to be an increasing number of groups of boys on bikes riding up and down Tooley Street. That in itself is fine, but they seem intent on creating trouble and being generally anti-social - being dangerous to other drivers - riding head on into traffic - forcing traffic to slow right down - and then shouting when that provokes a reaction from drivers or the public. I wondered if anyone had any productive ideas as to how this group could be engaged rather than police being called or causing an accident? Are there any youth schemes or similar that could help here - or is something already in place?
Wednesday 8 May 2019 5.20pm
Matt Southwark council used to have a dept. That taught youngsters road sense with motor bikes...came under Road Safety. Don't suppose they still exist?
Wednesday 8 May 2019 7.23pm
They regularly go up and down Southwark Street as well.
Wednesday 8 May 2019 9.20pm
To be honest this has been going on for over two years to my knowledge.
We have stopped going to Potters field on the weekend because of these bikers. I chatted with someone who witnessed an altercation with a car driver and bikers and they just kicked his car and cycled off.
It's mob mentality, haven't they been taught right from wrong.
Thursday 9 May 2019 7.13am
Increasing number of mugging in SE16 of mobile phones, could be the same groups boys. Just be vigilant and don’t have your phone on show when walking as you Re a prime target for them.
Thursday 9 May 2019 5.41pm
At weekends they end up all over SE1 and venture north of the river too, sometimes 20-30 of them. Sooner or later they'll cause a serious road traffic accident but for now they seem to get away with riding where and when they want.

I'm not sure what can be done, no one at the Met or the council is particularly interested in cyclists not obeying traffic lights or other rules of the road.
Thursday 9 May 2019 8.14pm
I saw them hold a bus hostage on Tooley Street and then seem to chase someone into that little Marks and Spencers by the sadly lamented rill. They seemed to be about 12-13 average age. Totally feral. Complete bull that they are allowed to be outlaw and as they grow older storing up so much trouble.
Friday 10 May 2019 4.23am
They are called Bikestormz and are mostly good natured and well behaved, if a little bit chaotic at times, and yes safety not top of participants concerns. They've been featured in a recent issue of the London cycling campaign magazine and I think there is a short film about them on YouTube
Friday 10 May 2019 8.30am
kevinruairi wrote:
They are called Bikestormz and are mostly good natured and well behaved, if a little bit chaotic at times, and yes safety not top of participants concerns. They've been featured in a recent issue of the London cycling campaign magazine and I think there is a short film about them on YouTube

Well behaved ?????
intimidating , aggressive and out of control is my take on them. Jumping red lights , cycling on one wheel to slow traffic up, cycling as close as they can to pedestrians to scare them .
Sorry , they have no respect for anybody.
Friday 10 May 2019 11.09am
Totally agree with you Scooter. Red lights mean stop, I shouldn’t be shouted at for crossing with a green man. Very rude
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions