London SE1 community website

Youth bikers on Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Friday 10 May 2019 6.45pm
I work in Shad Thames and live just off Blackfriars Road and have witnessed some of the antics of these bikers between here and there on a regular basis. They're unpleasant, threatening, intimidating and downright nasty. Apart from their appalling and dangerous behaviour on the roads, they're also regulars on the Thames path between London Bridge and Tower Bridge. I've seen them surrounding tourists, screaming at them, frightening them and being general very obnoxious. If this is considered acceptable behaviour, I despair.
Friday 10 May 2019 8.10pm
Their behaviour can be intimidating and they seem to take pleasure in it. For instance, riding at people crossing the road/on the pavement then changing direction at the last minute.

I don't think the Met know how to handle the situation. Sometimes some PCSOs hang around on Tooley St, but a couple of police are hardly likely to have any real control over 50 kids on bikes.. The City of London Police seem to *hate* them and will kick them out of the Castle Baynard St tunnel, a popular meeting point when it's cold and rainy. Guess the City police don't have so much to do at weekends.
Friday 10 May 2019 9.40pm
As I previously posted on another thread 31.10.17:

"I have been observing the feral Bermondsey cyclists over the course of the summer, and waiting for comment on this website. 
I am incredulous that the authorities are either unaware of this significant and threatening anti social behaviour, or are aware but do nothing about it. This in an area overlooked by the Mayor of London's office and one of the world's leading law firms. 
The answer obviously is to identify the ringleaders (this is easy, I can already recognise the main protagonists myself), confiscate their bikes on a first occasion, confiscate and destroy the bike on a second occasion. But of course they won't do this. The private security organised by OTB is completely ineffective against the dexterity of this mob, mobilised through phone messaging no doubt. 
Shameful inaction by the authorities. What on earth do overseas visitors and attendees of the new Potters Fields attractions caught up in this make of it?"
Update May 2019:
I have recently witnessed a police van (with one occupant, outnumbrred) surrounded by this mob in Tooley Street, with no obvious action taken.
How difficult can it be to film the ringleaders and take action? Local Councillors were aware and have reportedly held "discussions" but firm action needs to be taken NOW before something sinister arises.
Saturday 11 May 2019 8.59am
I spoke to one of the security people at more London a few weeks ago about this and it appears they are at a loss of what to do.
He told me of a tourist who was 8 months pregnant who became so distressed by the intimation of the bikers that they had to call an ambulance for her. They were riding within in an inch of her and generally being aggresive.
Something does need to be done , they know if they come too close to you and you push them away , you would be the one who would be arrested or you would have several others of them kicking the **** out of you,
Mob rule at its worse , and yes where is the mayor of London with this. He states London is ready for business and welcomes the world but what stories are they going to go home with and the ripple effect of this.
Also as I've already said we have stopped going to Potters Field because of this behaviour and being fearful.
Saturday 11 May 2019 11.04am
Can we have some RENEWED ACTION then Councillors? We know you monitor this site. And my voting at the ballot box depends on your actions!
Saturday 11 May 2019 9.25pm
They were up to their tricks in Southwark street again today. Regular thing nowadays and very intimidating.
Sunday 12 May 2019 7.20am
Police need to apply the same tactics that they use for high risk (eg Millwall Vs Cardiff) football matches or what Essex police used on Southend Seafront to stop car meets.

It's easy to tell (from social media) when the meets are happening, easy to tell who the ringleaders are- film them and get them on public order offences.

That said I appreciate that they are really stretched- terrorism, knife crime etc.

It will only stop when one of the cyclists comes a cropper with a vehicle which won't pleasant for anyone involved.
Sunday 12 May 2019 9.04am
If it actually is Bikestormz maybe get in touch directly (in a friendly way of course) to see if they are aware of this.
Monday 13 May 2019 9.16am
They were storming Southwark Street on Sunday and their behaviour was appalling.
I witnessed a group of them intimidating some tourists by the bus shelter outside M& S. They started swearing and jeering at a group of tourist who clearly were alarmed to say the least.
Tuesday 14 May 2019 11.27am
Totally agree. These particular cyclists are quite frankly using the Bikestormz (bikes up, knives down) as a label for their unruly and aggressive behaviour. When asked to stop leaving bikes strewn across the pavement, backchat and threats are all that is received. Police are not interested and when questioned also think they are nuisance but not prepared to ask them to move on or go to an appropriate park with cycling lanes, or bmx park, to hone their skills, rather than cycle straight at or in the path of vehicles!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions