London SE1 community website

Youth bikers on Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 14 May 2019 1.33pm
Perhaps it may help if there was somewhere that teens could burn off their excess energy..say a Roller Skating Rink, or skateboard area? Seeing as youngsters today have fewer facilities than we had 1950s. Grange road pool...Manor Place baths....loads of adventure playgrounds in the form of bombed houses. I feel sorry for the little sods. Every spare bit of land in Southwark is earmarked for development..too few areas to be kids.
No paddling pools for little ones ( been moaning about that for years). No One O'clock Clubs.
In essence no out door freedom.
Wednesday 15 May 2019 12.48pm
While youth provision has faced massive cutbacks since 2010 because of central goverment's slashing of local council income in order to provide income tax cuts to high earners and the pensions' triple lock, I don't think it's true that they don't have any facilities.

Skateboarding in the undercroft at the Queen Elisabeth Hall is pretty popular. There always seems to be young people doing Parkour around the South Bank Centre. There's a BMX track in Burgess Park. Manor Place baths might have shut, but there's a swimming pool at the E&C. Youth football seems to thrive in Waterloo.

Most of the young people round here seem perfectly decent. This thread is about a small number of cowardly scrotes who behave willfully anti-socially on the reasonably well-founded assumption that no authority figure will stop them.

I've seen them cycle at speed down the pavement on Blackfriars Road - remember there is a segregate cycle lane the length of Blackfriars Road, so they're not doing it because they are scared of the traffic - and physically assault and rob someone who remonstrated with them.

The police need to make this more of a priority before someone gets seriously hurt and the youngsters, learning the lesson that they can behave as badly as they like without consequences, graduate to even more anti-social behaviours.
Friday 17 May 2019 11.14am
Are we all talking about the "same" group? Most teenagers have bikes and Ive seen some who have jumping off and being up to no good and others cycling around in big groups burning off energy. Mostly they have all been good natured groups - especially the regular group I have seen in the churchyard and also another (older than 12-13) group which include girls - who look really cool btw! I also quite like seeing the showing off one wheelers. If their out cycling and skate boarding to me - that is a good thing.

Re aggression - this week I saw a lyric lout jump a red and he was spotted by two police men who reprimanded him and he decided to shout at them - becuase of course he is entitled and owns the road so can ignore the rules (shouting at the police!!) so they pulled him over - BUSTED. I got absolute pleasure in slowly cycling passed and seeing his entitled butt taken to the kerb for what I hope was a whacking fine. GOOD!
Saturday 18 May 2019 4.58pm
17:30 and a dozen of them were cruising up and down past the Tooley Street entrance to London Bridge Station, opposite Hays Galleria. Cycling against traffic, cycling to intimidate pedestrian road users. Doing wheelies.

I took a number of pictures.
Sjf
Saturday 18 May 2019 9.13pm
Up to 40 of them were riding down Southwark street today around 11am pulling wheelies towards the oncoming traffic and one of them clattered in to my car whilst doing so, thankfully the little git was ok but my car got scratched, they are a danger to themselves.
Sunday 19 May 2019 1.20pm
I saw a group of about 5 or 6 cycling beside London Bridge station and one of them holding on to the handle of a car. This is so dangerous, a nusiance, and disgusting to watch on a daily basis.

When will the authorities ever do anything?
Friday 31 May 2019 11.20am
The authorities have done something- this has been posted on the Nextdoor website by Southwark police.

"Boys on Bikes" and related anti-social behaviour

On Wednesday 29th May 2019, A/PS Tricia Edmead and London Bridge & West Bermondsey SNT ran an operation to target cycle-related anti-social behaviour in the Tooley Street area. Resources were deployed both in uniform and plain clothes and using police dispersal powers 3 bikes being ridden in an anti-social manner were confiscated. We hope to continue these kind of operations over the summer, sending a message that cycling dangerously or anti-socially, including putting other people at risk, will not be tolerated.

We are very aware of the ongoing issue in the SE1 area relating to "boys on bikes" causing anti-social behaviour, cycling dangerously and A/PS Edmead is working with other police teams and local partners to resolve this. Unfortunately it is a very entrenched issue and not one that can be dealt with overnight. However we are making progress and hope that our ongoing enforcement activity will have an impact.

Please note that this is NOT targeting those who ride their bikes in a sensible and lawful manner; it is only aimed at those who misuse bikes or use them to cause ASB or commit criminal offences.

If you have any questions or concerns in relation to this matter please contact London Bridge & West Bermondsey SNT on SNTMD-.LondonBridge&[email protected]
Saturday 1 June 2019 9.40am
According to https://road.cc/content/news/259582-thousands-youngsters-expected-junes-bikestormz-8-london-video

the only official 'BikeStormz' this year takes place today:

'BikeStormz 8 takes place in Central London on Saturday 1 June 2019, meeting at Tower Bridge at 12 noon, and is free to take part in, with organisers “inviting young people from all over the country to join us as we stand together against knife crime in loving memory of friends and family members whose have lost their lives to this rising epidemic.”'

So it's probably advisable to stay out of central London.
Saturday 1 June 2019 9.46am
It is good to hear of this initiative and that bicycle confiscation has been used as a sanction as I advocated in my October 2017 post. It is essential the initiative is sustained and followed through to a satisfactory conclusion. But it beggars belief that the Metropolitan Police believe that the matter is "entrenched" and "cannot be solved overnight". If the combined resources of the Met are incapable of extirpating the unbridled anti social behaviour of a couple of dozen known and identifiable feral teens (pre teens? ) who antagonize law abiding citizens on a regular basis, then what hope is there? (No idea what an SNT is!).
Saturday 1 June 2019 9.47am
'Unfortunately this is a very entrenched issue' = we did not do anything to start with and now..... What an utter admission of failure. I am very pro-police but this is a shame-faced lack of taking responsibility. These are children. You are adult authorities. Grow some!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions