London SE1 community website

Youth bikers on Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Sunday 2 June 2019 11.50am
JimG wrote:
'Unfortunately this is a very entrenched issue' = we did not do anything to start with and now..... What an utter admission of failure. I am very pro-police but this is a shame-faced lack of taking responsibility. These are children. You are adult authorities. Grow some!

'Entrenched' perhaps because when it started it was regarded, at least in some quarters, as a 'good thing'.

See https://www.huckmag.com/outdoor/bikes/bikestormz-movement-cycling-bikelife-survival-london/

Quote '...these kids feel a sense of belonging.'
'Riders come from all areas and backgrounds but, for many, the identity and sense of belonging found in Bikelife is what’s steered them away from more dangerous paths.'

And once it got the 'anti-knife crime' label attached it could become politically correct - at least at the (rare) organised BikeStormz events.

(On the basis perhaps 'I don't need a knife, I've got a bike and know how to handle it')

One of claims seems to be that it keeps kids out of the gangs - but it's only done that by being a gang itself (quote: 'the feeling of cruising as a pack'). And it's a gang that seems to have chosen Bankside and Tooley Street as its turf.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions