London SE1 community website

Council Garages

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 9 May 2019 6.43pm
A friend of mine is thinking of applying for a council garage. Do you have to be a Southwark resident or can people in outside boroughs also apply?

Thanks.
Thursday 9 May 2019 10.11pm
Sure you can. Used to be 25 pound week about seven years ago. Give leathermarket housing office a ring.cant think of number now sorry. Just off Weston street"
Friday 10 May 2019 8.13am
I've looked online. They have contracts based on whether you're a council tenant or not (affects pricing). The number listed goes to an answer machine hence my post here.
Friday 10 May 2019 9.16am
Southwark Garages As noted by others, the price varies with non council residents/service charge paying leaseholders and freeholders paying most. Getting one near where you want may be a struggle, though depending on the demand. Also, because of location some may be more secure than others. Mine is in a secure undercroft, for example and with the steel doors installed by Southwark a few years back is probably more secure than my house.
Friday 10 May 2019 10.00am
Thanks. My question, if anyone else can confirm is whether you need to be a Southwark resident to apply for one.
Friday 10 May 2019 11.07am
Southwark Council may question why you want one if you donít live in the borough.. I would imagine residents would get priority if the do let to non-residents
Friday 10 May 2019 11.45am
Apply, find out.
Friday 10 May 2019 3.33pm
Pointless applying only to find out months later you never qualified. If nobody is sure, that OK. Just thought someone might.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions