London SE1 community website

Tomato Plants?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 12 May 2019 10.13am
Hi - does anyone know where to buy tomato plants? Used to buy them from that Asian store on Lower Marsh, but since they moved I think they stopped selling them...
Monday 13 May 2019 8.27am
There was a good selection of tomato plants yesterday on Columbia Road- if you can wait until next week and overcome any possible 'crossing the river anxiety', then that's your place.
Alternatively, last year I bought one ion B&Q on OKR.
Monday 13 May 2019 12.25pm
maurits wrote:
There was a good selection of tomato plants yesterday on Columbia Road- if you can wait until next week and overcome any possible 'crossing the river anxiety', then that's your place.
Alternatively, last year I bought one ion B&Q on OKR.

Love Columbia Rd. , bought some lavender plants there last year. It's definitely a more pleasant trip than to OKR B&Q ... Thanks.
Wednesday 15 May 2019 11.14am
I planted my own from seed last year and they were very successful. Saved some seeds from a bunch of tasty tomatoes I got from Sainsburys or wherever. Some website recommended soaking the seeds for a week before planting them, which I did.

Might be a bit late in the season for planting now, but I was still getting home-grown toms from the window box in October.
Wednesday 15 May 2019 12.13pm
PeteStaples wrote:
I planted my own from seed last year and they were very successful. Saved some seeds from a bunch of tasty tomatoes I got from Sainsburys or wherever. Some website recommended soaking the seeds for a week before planting them, which I did.
Might be a bit late in the season for planting now, but I was still getting home-grown toms from the window box in October.

That's exactly my problem: planted from seed last year and they were very successful. This year the seeds completely failed though, and as you say, it's a bit late for planting now, that's why I am looking for plants.
Thursday 13 June 2019 2.41pm
There is a plant stall on East St market - best on a Sunday.
Friday 14 June 2019 4.47am
Walworth Garden (not far from East St) is worth a try - lovely place to visit, anyway, and a charity well worth supporting.
Friday 14 June 2019 11.10am
Alberta Ally wrote:
Walworth Garden (not far from East St) is worth a try - lovely place to visit, anyway, and a charity well worth supporting.

Brilliant tip! Can't wait to check this place out :)

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions