London SE1 community website

Jade Goody- Magazine covers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 17 May 2019 12.55pm
Hi,

My name's Jazz and I'm a researcher at Blast films, an award winning independent production company based in London.

We're currently producing a landmark documentary series about the extraordinary life of Jade Goody for channel 4.

As we all know Jade's life was extensively covered by the press and that's where I'm hoping someone might be able to help...

We're on the lookout for Jade on the front covers of glossy magazines such as Heat, Closer, Now between 2002-2006. If anyone was a big Jade fan or maybe knows of someone with an archive of back issues please get in touch!

Thanks for reading!

e: [email protected]
Friday 17 May 2019 5.04pm
Jasmine Akwele wrote:
Hi,
My name's Jazz and I'm a researcher at Blast films, an award winning independent production company based in London.

We're currently producing a landmark documentary series about the extraordinary life of Jade Goody for channel 4.

As we all know Jade's life was extensively covered by the press and that's where I'm hoping someone might be able to help...

We're on the lookout for Jade on the front covers of glossy magazines such as Heat, Closer, Now between 2002-2006. If anyone was a big Jade fan or maybe knows of someone with an archive of back issues please get in touch!

Thanks for reading!

e: jreavenall-nuete@blastfilms.co.uk

Who was Jade Goody - and why should anyone be interested in her?
Friday 17 May 2019 7.47pm
[

Quote:
Who was Jade Goody - and why should anyone be interested in her?

Cervical-cancer awareness
The day of Goody's funeral, a spokeswoman for Cancer Research UK said:[102]
Jade's story has raised awareness of cervical cancer which has led to hundreds of thousands of people contacting Cancer Research UK for information on the disease as the number of hits to our website, CancerHelp.org shows. Her legacy will be to help save lives.

In October 2009 it was reported that the number of women between 25 and 64 having Pap tests in the United Kingdom had grown by 12 percent during the previous year, an increase (after year-to-year declines since 2002) credited to Goody's public battle with cervical cancer. Sky News health correspondent Thomas Moore said:[103]

This is a tremendous flip for the NHS screening programme. Jade Goody had a particular impact on the women the NHS struggles to reach – the young and the less well educated. The challenge for public health doctors now is to ensure that this rise is sustained, so that Jade has a long-lasting legacy.

According to Health Secretary Andy Burnham, "Jade's bravery and openness in her fight against cervical cancer has brought home to young women across the country the importance of regularly going for these checks."[103] Gordon Brown said, "Her family can be extremely proud of the work she has done to raise awareness of cervical cancer which will benefit thousands of women across the UK
Friday 17 May 2019 9.12pm
I'm not a fan of reality TV but it changed her life and enabled her to give her children better chances (when they were born).

She was born and bred in Bemondsey which is why I imagine Jazz popped up on here.
Saturday 18 May 2019 12.27pm
Jade Goody lived in Southwark (SE16) with her mother Jackie, she became famous when she appeared onBig Brother. Died to cervical cancer (as posted above).
Saturday 18 May 2019 11.17pm
She had to help an enormous lot as a child, hrer mother lost the use of her arm because of motorbike accident. Jade had to put plugs on electrical equipment aat early age etc.
Sunday 19 May 2019 9.22am
I used to work in the NHS, in cancer screening. We would talk about the ‘Jade Goody effect’ after her openness helped so many people overcome what was still at the time a massive stigma about cervical cancer.
Sunday 19 May 2019 2.30pm
Have to say I never liked Jade Goody as a celebrity (didn't know her privately) but after she became ill I always felt that she handled it in a very dignified way and am glad to hear that the fact she was in the public eye so much helped make such a contribution to the fight against cervical cancer. Can't help with Jazz's request though, I'm afraid.
Monday 20 May 2019 12.59pm
Jasmine Akwele wrote:
If anyone was a big Jade fan or maybe knows of someone with an archive of back issues please get in touch!

I'd usually try the British Library or the Ashmolean for an archive of important publications. Or the original publisher.
Monday 20 May 2019 3.17pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
Jasmine Akwele wrote:
If anyone was a big Jade fan or maybe knows of someone with an archive of back issues please get in touch!

I'd usually try the British Library.

I have spent many hours at the British Newspaper Library in Colindale, researching publications to be eventually used in the documentaries I was working on.

However, they shut down in 2013, so the way way to perform an archival search of British publications is via Brightsolid's website.

As a caveat, please note that their service is patchy to say the least: not all of their holdings have been digitised.

There is a subscription cost involved, unless the researcher chooses to go to the British Library in St Pancras and perform it there on one of their terminals.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions