London SE1 community website

Loud London Bridge Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 27 May 2019 3.44pm
Anyone else noticed a rise in the volume of the announcements at London Bridge Station on the St. Thomas Street side? It starts bellowing at just before 7am and doesn't stop until around midnight. It's doing my head in!
Monday 27 May 2019 10.53pm
Given the major development works that will be taking place on St Thomas Street over the next several years, Id just relax and enjoy the relative peace and quiet...
Tuesday 28 May 2019 7.22am
I'll be gone by then for exactly that reason. In the meantime I'd just like to not be bellowed at 18 hours a day.
Wednesday 29 May 2019 10.38am
We've had a battle with the station for the last year on the Bermondsey Street side. Network Rail have finally got into gear over the issue but we're still battling Thameslink and SouthEastern. You should email the station master [email protected]
Wednesday 29 May 2019 5.13pm
The most ridiculous experience with announcements in the station is to hear 'See it.Say it.Sorted' being played on every platform at once, but with each recording slightly out of time with the neighbouring ones. The messages become a bizarre mash up of what is just intrusive noise.
Wednesday 29 May 2019 7.11pm
David Pilkington wrote:
We've had a battle with the station for the last year on the Bermondsey Street side. Network Rail have finally got into gear over the issue but we're still battling Thameslink and SouthEastern. You should email the station master denis.kirk@networkrail.co.uk

David I would be happy to join your battle to add some backup. I've been over to the station office to speak to the manager 3 times (a different duty manager each time). They say oh yeah, the new system hasn't been commissioned yet, when it's commissioned it should all be fine. Fat chance, I think.

I have made a complaint to Southwark Noise team but will email Denis as well. If you're inclined, please do complain to the council too to add some teeth.
Wednesday 29 May 2019 7.37pm
spartacus wrote:
The most ridiculous experience with announcements in the station is to hear 'See it.Say it.Sorted' being played on every platform at once, but with each recording slightly out of time with the neighbouring ones. The messages become a bizarre mash up of what is just intrusive noise.

spartacus, it's not quite as ridiculous as having to hear it in your bedroom and living room all day.
Wednesday 29 May 2019 9.32pm
The testing of the station equipment with white noise at night is due to finish around now.

I've raised the issue with Cllr Damian O'Brien. He's only interested in an issue if he gets dozens of complaints and my fellow neighbours over here have largely given up on the issue.

An obvious improvement would be to only have announcements in the 'male' voice. As these will not travel so far given the lower pitch.

NR have in the past tackled the out of sync nonsense announcements. Our main problem over here is a shoutathon between Thameslink and Southern, when they're not short staffed.

Feel free to email me any response you get from Den - [email protected]
Wednesday 29 May 2019 10.09pm
"The testing of the station equipment with white noise at night is due to finish around now." Can you explain more about that?

David I'm surprised by what you say about the male voice. It's the only one we can hear most here on Melior Street - if there's a female voice I haven't noticed it.

I use the station most days and I routinely stand in different parts of it to see if there's different levels in different areas. It seems to me it's louder on the platforms on the St. Thomas Street side. Plus, there are speakers all along the edge by the windows (where there are no passengers) so that it booms perfectly towards our flats!

I will let you know if I hear anything worthwhile.
Thursday 30 May 2019 8.18am
There has been a month long project to test the sound at night with white noise. This is to (in theory) fine tune the levels of the automated announcements on different platforms during day and night. Network Rail should be able to talk to you about this.

You may not get a female voice on your side. The announcements in terms of frequency, syncopation and voices tend to change on a regular basis.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions