London SE1 community website

Council charges for garden waste

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Sunday 2 June 2019 3.28pm
I did get the notification leaflet some weeks ago - I use paper bags so I hot-footed to the library to get some but they told me they haven't had any delivered for weeks, obviously in preparation for the charges. I emailed Southwark for more information but 3 weeks on still no response but in the meantime I telephoned them and they confirmed the charges and also said if I have paper sacks I have to telephone every time I want a collection - it took me 15 minutes to get through to an agent so I'm not looking forward to that! Fortunately, my kind neighbour said I could use her brown bin. I have already seen plastic sacks with garden waste dumped on the street but not sure if that is because they couldn't get any paper sacks and the collection lorry won't take it in a plastic bag or they don't want to pay for them. Alas, I think we will definitely see more dumping. I was recently told that the £25/£30 yearly cost for the brown bin is for EACH bin.
Baz
Tuesday 4 June 2019 1.00pm
Hello. I've just registered so I can let you all know that I too paid the £25 charge some three weeks ago and has I hadn't received any sticker for the brown bin by yesterday, I called Southwark Council yesterday afternoon. Got straight through and was advised there had been a small delay but something would be put through my door by the end of the week, including the sticker for the brown bin. Hope that's helpful and puts your mind at rest.
Thursday 13 June 2019 10.11pm
I paid in May. Havenít received a sticker yet and trash day is tomorrow, so garden waste from all brown bins on my street will be picked up regardless of whether theyíve subscribed to the scheme
or not.
Baz
Wednesday 19 June 2019 9.44am
For what it's worth Otto, I called Southwark Council again yesterday as I still haven't received my sticker for the brown bin nor a requested small food waste bin. I was told to expect them by the end of this week (which is what I was told two weeks ago). They said it was being done by an outside contractor so they couldn't say more than that. My brown bin was emptied on Monday as per usual but it wasn't emptied last week. I live in John Ruskin Street in SE5 (I work in Lower Marsh, SE1).
Thursday 20 June 2019 4.51am
Baz wrote:
For what it's worth Otto, I called Southwark Council again yesterday as I still haven't received my sticker for the brown bin nor a requested small food waste bin. I was told to expect them by the end of this week (which is what I was told two weeks ago). They said it was being done by an outside contractor so they couldn't say more than that. My brown bin was emptied on Monday as per usual but it wasn't emptied last week. I live in John Ruskin Street in SE5 (I work in Lower Marsh, SE1).

I suggest we demand an extra ("free") month in 2020 since we've already paid for a service which we were told would start on 1st June 2019. Proper contract monitoring by the Council would be a start!
Baz
Thursday 20 June 2019 11.53am
I received my garden waste sticker yesterday through the post. Hurrah! Now we shall see if I receive the requested small brown bin for food waste. I'm hoping it will be delivered on Monday when they empty the large brown bin for garden waste. Fingers crossed!
Monday 1 July 2019 1.30pm
Baz wrote:
I received my garden waste sticker yesterday through the post. Hurrah! Now we shall see if I receive the requested small brown bin for food waste. I'm hoping it will be delivered on Monday when they empty the large brown bin for garden waste. Fingers crossed!
Baz, well done for getting your sticker for the brown bin through the post.? It's nearly 7 weeks since I paid the Council £25. I've put my bin out twice in recent weeks with a copy of the receipt taped onto the lid, adding I am still without the sticker and my house number is painted on the bin. I gather the stickers are being produced/'distributed by someone other than Veolia. From end of June (i.e. now) they are meant to be confiscating the brown bins if they are sticker-less. Help! This is a totally mismanaged scheme.
If anyone else can give me a phone number and name so I can speak to a human being. (Some one spoke to "Otto" - Who he?
Tuesday 2 July 2019 7.31am
Good morning AA. Like you, I signed up early in May, not knowing all the facts. However due to the delay in getting my stickers, and realising the plastic wastage and untidiness of having another brown bin (4 multicolour bins in total) at the front of my property, and thanks to someone earlier in the thread, I understand I can dispose of greens in brown bags, Iíve cancelled my subscription as they have fallen out of their T&Cs (due to delays). I had to reach them through the Southwark Council main line and transfer to someone in environment services until you get to someone who deals with the subscriptions. Just search Southwark Council phone number.
Baz
Tuesday 2 July 2019 11.09am
Sorry to hear you're still without your sticker. Not good at all. My sticker arrived in the post week before last. The new smaller brown bin for food waste hadn't arrived though so last Monday I called the Council on their general number and connected very quickly with someone in the 'environment' department. They couldn't have been more helpful. He asked if I had a reference number but I didn't have one to hand so he searched for me and said that there had been no request from me for a food waste bin which wasn't true at all as I requested it when I paid for the subscription. He put in an order for me there and then and said it will arrive by the end of the week which it did, on Friday. So all in all, everything is - eventually - up and running for me. I see the binmen have been putting information on those brown bins where people didn't subscribe for the garden waste service to prompt them about it before they take away the bin. The outsourcing of this changeover seems to have been a bit of a cock up and that's putting it mildly. I could go on (negatively) about outsourcing by councils generally but that's a whole new thread! Good luck with sorting yours out.
Tuesday 2 July 2019 1.44pm
Thank you Otto and Baz for your replies. I've spoken to Environmental Services who are clearly receiving plenty of phone calls from people who are still waiting for the brown-bin stickers. The latest is that "the stickers will [all?] be sent out by post by the end of this week". The Council staff (I phoned twice) were patient and polite and seemed to share my view that the sub-contractors who are meant to be distributing stickers have not been very efficient. I think the annual 2020-2021 should also be £25 (not £30). Thanks everyone who responded to both my postings. This Discussion Forum [thanks, James and Leigh] seems better at sorting out issues like this one, than elsewhere.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions