London SE1 community website

Council charges for garden waste

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 30 May 2019 6.35am
Has anyone received a sticker for their brown bin for garden waste collection? I paid £25 two weeks and received confirmation of payment by email but although the first paid-for collection is next Monday I've not received the sticker. Has anyone else not received the sticker?
Thursday 30 May 2019 8.55am
I hadn't heard about this until now. What an excellently thought through way of increasing flytipping. Soon, every street corner and street bin will be overflowing with grass cuttings, twigs, leaves and hedge clippings. I would expect your sticker and/or bin to soon vanish as someone else recycles your payment for their benefit. The obvious solution being to just put it in the ordinary waste.
Friday 31 May 2019 10.14am
Ditto, paid the fee, still awaiting the sticker.
Friday 31 May 2019 2.00pm
boroughbloke wrote:
I hadn't heard about this until now. What an excellently thought through way of increasing fly tipping. Soon, every street corner and street bin will be overflowing with grass cuttings, twigs, leaves and hedge clippings. I would expect your sticker and/or bin to soon vanish as someone else recycles your payment for their benefit. The obvious solution being to just put it in the ordinary waste.
I think you're wrong. No one much around my way bothers to look after their gardens so there certainly won't be a lot of extra garden waste lying around. And my bin and hopefully the sticker when it arrives will only be put out on the morning for collection and otherwise kept safely locked up. And no, no, no, don;t put it in your green bin waste - that's just being irresponsible. Be a bit more positive!
And thanks, lucysalisbury for your reply - obviously just the usual council inefficiency
Friday 31 May 2019 8.44pm
Do Southwark collect all year round ? In Derbyshire was charging forty pounds for six months! They have now scrapped the charge , don't know if they now collect the whole year, lots of gardens up here!
Saturday 1 June 2019 6.05am
Jan the old one wrote:
Do Southwark collect all year round ? In Derbyshire was charging forty pounds for six months! They have now scrapped the charge , don't know if they now collect the whole year, lots of gardens up here!
Yes, Jan they do collect all year round, but walking round the neighbourhood yesterday evening, lots of full brown bins but not a single sticker to be seen! My collection day is Monday so I'll be curious to see what happens.
Saturday 1 June 2019 11.31am
Plenty of garden waste here. Even without this policy it is not unusual to see piles of it in the usual flytipping locations. We have no big bins to put stickers on, though so I have no idea how this can be applied. Moreover, I have had no formal advice of any of this so I will just put out the same paper sacks as I have for years. Maybe a more sensible policy would be to have paid for sacks. That way they canít be stolen as the bins will be as soon as they have monetary value.
Saturday 1 June 2019 6.06pm
The brown bags are paid-for from today; the cost is £15 for 20 bags, but the leaflet about new garden waste service doesn't even mention collecting brown bags - only brown bins. So wasteful unless they return the brown bags to you when they've emptied them. The info about charging for brown bags is on the Council website. This whole initiative seems a huge muddle but we did get a letter through the door in around April/early May and then the leaflet with more details about 2-3 weeks ago so I don't know why boroughbloke didn't see these.
Sunday 2 June 2019 7.12am
Checked with neighbours. None of us has received any advice of this.
Sunday 2 June 2019 8.32am
We have 3 brown bins for garden waste as we are a block of 4 flats with 2 gardens but we have not heard anything about charges. No stickers and no letters.
We are just off Druid Street.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions