London SE1 community website

Council charges for garden waste

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Sunday 2 June 2019 4.28pm
I did get the notification leaflet some weeks ago - I use paper bags so I hot-footed to the library to get some but they told me they haven't had any delivered for weeks, obviously in preparation for the charges. I emailed Southwark for more information but 3 weeks on still no response but in the meantime I telephoned them and they confirmed the charges and also said if I have paper sacks I have to telephone every time I want a collection - it took me 15 minutes to get through to an agent so I'm not looking forward to that! Fortunately, my kind neighbour said I could use her brown bin. I have already seen plastic sacks with garden waste dumped on the street but not sure if that is because they couldn't get any paper sacks and the collection lorry won't take it in a plastic bag or they don't want to pay for them. Alas, I think we will definitely see more dumping. I was recently told that the £25/£30 yearly cost for the brown bin is for EACH bin.
Baz
Tuesday 4 June 2019 2.00pm
Hello. I've just registered so I can let you all know that I too paid the £25 charge some three weeks ago and has I hadn't received any sticker for the brown bin by yesterday, I called Southwark Council yesterday afternoon. Got straight through and was advised there had been a small delay but something would be put through my door by the end of the week, including the sticker for the brown bin. Hope that's helpful and puts your mind at rest.
Thursday 13 June 2019 11.11pm
I paid in May. Haven’t received a sticker yet and trash day is tomorrow, so garden waste from all brown bins on my street will be picked up regardless of whether they’ve subscribed to the scheme
or not.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions