London SE1 community website

TFL 2nd entrance for Southwark Tube

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 5 June 2019 9.37pm
Last night Lambeth Planning committee met to decide the proposal by TFL for 2nd entrance to Southwark Tube in Greet Street.We were very lucky in that we had two planning experts Michael Ball and Juliet Heap. They both spoke on planning issues and I spoke on the crime & ASB aspect. We were allowed 2 minutes only . Councilor Kevin Craig spoke on behalf of the 3 Bishops Ward Councillors as did our MP Kate Hoey. Our GLA member Florence Eshamoli put in a written objection. TFL were then allowed 2 minutes to put their case. TFL whilst being questioned by committee made so many false statements which we were not allowed to challenge. They then produced some ridiculous pictures , which were then shown to the committee, although we were not allowed to show our own photo's.The 5 committee members then voted 3 against accepting and 2 for. The Chair then she was using her casting vote so the proposal was accepted. Totally un democratic .
OHRA are so lucky to have the support of Kate Hoey, our Councillors and Florence
We must now consider a Judicial Review to put right this total wrong doing by Lambeth Council
Thursday 6 June 2019 7.57am
People across London would give up their first born children to live next to a tube entrance. At the Bricklayers Arms, if some posters here are to be believed, they would give up their (more likely, other people's) homes too so they could have a tube station entrance. In Waterloo they oppose such a thing. The antics of nimbys never fail but to confuse me.
Thursday 6 June 2019 12.30pm
Couldn't agree more boroughbloke - nimbyism at its worse
Thursday 6 June 2019 6.17pm
Not sure it is normal nymbyism. I am not affected by this but there is another entrance round the corner. So quite unlike the Bricklayers Arms concerns.
Friday 7 June 2019 6.12am
There is whole other station not more than 5 minutes away. Perhaps we should close Southwark entirely and rely on that as it is clearly a bad thing to have in the neighbourhood. A den of sin and antisocial behaviour, it seems.
Friday 7 June 2019 11.25am
There are TWO other underground station entrances less than five minutes from the proposed site, those being in Waterloo Road opposite the Wellington pub and the other on the corner of Blackfriars Road/The Cut, both built to service the Jubilee Line.

Perhaps Boroughbloke without resorting to further 'Trump' like language and insulting posts you can explain the need for such a LUL entrance in a backstreet that the majority of commuters do not know exists.

Seriously, I really want to know from you, or anybody else, where the need for a second entrance is warranted because, search as I may, there seems to be no honest merit in the proposal.
Friday 7 June 2019 3.54pm
I agree with Thebunhouse entirely. This proposed entrance serves no purpose at all for the tube. All it is useful for is for passengers exiting Waterloo East and is a smoke screen for a previous proposal that was turned down on the basis that "it was not appropriate in a residential street " nothing has changed it is still a purely residential street. Can anyone name a residential street where a tube station has been built.?
To go from Southwark Tube platform to Young Vic, it is over 100% extra distance . I regularly use Southwark Tube and have never found it congested. It is a crazy proposal by the buffoons in TFL
Friday 7 June 2019 5.11pm
Trump like language? There must be very skin skin out there for anything I have said to be considered insulting. As for the station entrance I cannot see any reason for it not to be there. If I lived next to it then I would consider it useful. Plenty of tube stations have secondary entrances on residential streets. I lived next to one. The only inconvenience was that it was closed outside peak hours and at the weekend.
Friday 7 June 2019 10.42pm
My advice is to read the planning application and TfL consultation which sets out very clearly the need for another entrance to Southwark tube station. Passenger numbers are expected to increase and lead to significant overcrowding without another entrance. We in SE1 are not an island and anyone who lives here will have witnessed first hand the new hotels, offices and residential developments in the area. Maybe you donít like it, but itís happening and we need the transport infrastructure to cope.
Saturday 8 June 2019 9.12am
Firstly, Mitch, I have read the planning application and attended consultations so I know very well the misleading tactics employed by LUL. However large the increase in passenger numbers at Southwark station this plan will not remove the real cause of any real, or imagined ,congestion which is the fact that there are only two escalators servicing the actual platforms, these form the pinch point of congestion not the concourse.
It does not make it easier to access The Cut, the current entrance is on the corner of The Cut/Blackfriars Road. a Greet Street entrance would be approximately 100 yards from The Cut. There are no plans to build hotels, offices or even desperately needed housing closer to Greet Street rather than the current entrance/exit so any large influx of passengers would still use the current entrance/exit.Perhaps customers of the Young Vic might use it in order to save ten yards on their journey?
TfL/LUL own the block of land bordered by Blackfriars Road/The Cut/Joan Street and Isabella Street which is empty but for the current Southwark station entrance and a Boris bike stand. Plenty of room there to enlarge the entrance I believe.

It all points to a desire to build an exit/entrance for Waterloo East passengers which had been applied for in 2010 and had been refused by Lambeth because it was on a residential street. The street has not changed so the way to get round the 2010 refusal is by adding a ,very doubtful, need for Tube passengers.

Boroughbloke, I do have a thin skin or skin skin (sic) and find being called a 'Nimby' insulting.
Perhaps a list of the many secondary Tube stations built on residential streets and in particular the one you used to live next to which appears to have been closed for most of the time would help me better understand your point of view.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions