London SE1 community website

TFL 2nd entrance for Southwark Tube

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Saturday 8 June 2019 10.56am
How about Leyton? In the past frequented Dolis Hill. Both entrances to this station are on residential streets. South Woodford. Kilburn Park (no entrance onto anything that can be called a main road). Ravenscourt Park (likewise).These are places I can easily name. Having travelled widely around London, I lose count of the number of stations I have stepped out of to find myself in the middle of nowhere surrounded by semi-detached houses, no shops, no one. They make Greet Street seem like a buzzing centre of urbanity. I'm not sure what logical arguments you care to use to oppose a station entrance here. Needless to say that if they wanted to build an entrance to Borough station outside my front door (very quiet and residential), I would welcome it as great convenience, not a threat.
Saturday 8 June 2019 9.36pm
Let me make clear what no one seems to understand, this is not an entrance to a platform and does not benefit any Southwark tube Passengers , the only people it serves is Waterloo East passengers. The entrance will be only 3 metres wide and after entering you have to mount 12 steps. No step free access.If you are exiting the Young Vic and are going to Southwark Tube Station via Greet Street the journey would be over 50% more than going via The Cut.Surely there is no underground station entrance where you have to go up and up and then along a walkway to reach the escalator going to the platform.Surely you would not want a wasted 2nd entrance outside your front door that meant you had to walk over 50% further to get to a Platform. Even for residents of Tait House which is 20 foot from the proposed entrance , the journey would be much much shorter to go to existing entrance.I was at the the committee meeting and had to sit through 3 hours of college nonsense and lies by TFL. They already make a complete hash of the transport problems in Central London and should keep to trying to run the transit network properly. But no they want to get into building flats and offices.
Saturday 8 June 2019 9.52pm
Another entrance is not going to ease congestions, although there is no congestion at all. Those people that use the 2nd entrance are just taking a long route round to get to the self same platform. TFL's figures are severely flawed. When you enter the existing station your walk to platform down steps to get to ticket hall and then 2 escalators to reach platform. To enter Southwark tube via proposed Greet Street entrance you enter by narrow opening and then have to mount 12 steps, take a long walk upwards and then a long walk down and then an escalator to platform .Brixton underground station has only 1 entrance, their passenger numbers are higher than Southwark and are increasing at a much higher rate.TFL do not know what they are doing. I would only assume their motive is to provide an entrance to the stations when they have to close existing entrance to build their Tower block above
Sunday 9 June 2019 12.06am
That was then, this is now. And in the cases you quote, which came first, the station or the houseS?
Sunday 9 June 2019 10.42am
Philipdiogenes wrote:
That was then, this is now. And in the cases you quote, which came first, the station or the houseS?

Good points, Philipdiogenes. Two of the stations boroughbloke lists were originally built on an 1850s rural branch line, running out of Liverpool Street, which only became part of the 'tube' network in the 1940s - ALL the surrounding houses (and all the shops in George Lane that boroughbloke seems to have missed) have been built since the line was originally built. And frankly it's not relevant. OHRA and Thebunhouse are making a specific case about TfL's planned entrance in Greet Street. Personally I'd be happier if TfL/Network Rail would concentrate on sorting out that extraordinary long trek from the Waterloo East platforms to the Jubilee Line, with the silly double ticket gate-line in the middle.
Sunday 9 June 2019 11.49am
Lots of researching going on here, clutching at reasons for this to not happen in some people’s front or back yard as the case may be. None of them are convincing to me. Frankly, the long walk to Waterloo East is a function of it being a long way. Only a wormhole in space time will solve that one so it is no more relevant than some of my comments either.
Sunday 9 June 2019 10.41pm
No research needed, boroughbloke - common knowledge to anybody who grew up in the Leyton/Woodford area. Us Essex folk are proud of our rural heritage.

Glad you agree your own comments are irrelevant. I'm happy to leave the specific arguments to the people who live in the Waterloo East/Southwark station area and are directly affected.
Monday 10 June 2019 12.41pm
Only times Southwark gets crowded is when the Jubilee backs up or at the entrance when tourists are taking the wrong stairs or standing on the stairs with heavy suitcases.

A second entrance on the wrong side won’t solve that and seems to me a waste of money.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions