London SE1 community website

Jehovahs on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 17 June 2019 4.27pm
La Martinet wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
Jan the old one wrote:
Takes me back a few years Paul, we'd had frequent jehovahs calling , when my husband answered the door within thirty seconds I'd hear door close. I asked him how he achieved that. His answer was simple ' just say your Catholic ' they go away then.
Few weeks later I answered the door to find two smiling elderly ladies with silver hair. When the started their spiel I just gave my husbands response. They just beamed at me and said 'we were too then we saw we were wrong,let us tell you our story'
I was stood at front door for half an hour. My husband thought it was hilarious , he never told me he rattled off Catholic bit then closed the door before they had chance to respond!

Next time, tell them you are Jewish...

Telling them you are Jewish does not work either. Many moons ago I lived in Teddington. Every year, there would be (maybe still is) the annual Jehovah beano for a whole week at Twickenham Stadium; they came from all over the country. They would be sent out en masse into the surrounding area to knock on doors.

Every year this drove me crazy until I decided I had the solution: tell them you are Jewish and they will leave you alone. Ha, wrong! I told them and they said in unison, "Aah, do you know that what we believe is very close to Judaism? Let us explain..."

Hoist with my own petard!

I tell them that I'm a devout Hindu(which I'm not) and ask them to politely respect that. Which they always do.
Tuesday 18 June 2019 2.14pm
LukeGrangeWalker wrote:
La Martinet wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
Jan the old one wrote:
Takes me back a few years Paul, we'd had frequent jehovahs calling , when my husband answered the door within thirty seconds I'd hear door close. I asked him how he achieved that. His answer was simple ' just say your Catholic ' they go away then.
Few weeks later I answered the door to find two smiling elderly ladies with silver hair. When the started their spiel I just gave my husbands response. They just beamed at me and said 'we were too then we saw we were wrong,let us tell you our story'
I was stood at front door for half an hour. My husband thought it was hilarious , he never told me he rattled off Catholic bit then closed the door before they had chance to respond!

Next time, tell them you are Jewish...

Telling them you are Jewish does not work either. Many moons ago I lived in Teddington. Every year, there would be (maybe still is) the annual Jehovah beano for a whole week at Twickenham Stadium; they came from all over the country. They would be sent out en masse into the surrounding area to knock on doors.

Every year this drove me crazy until I decided I had the solution: tell them you are Jewish and they will leave you alone. Ha, wrong! I told them and they said in unison, "Aah, do you know that what we believe is very close to Judaism? Let us explain..."

Hoist with my own petard!

I tell them that I'm a devout Hindu(which I'm not) and ask them to politely respect that. Which they always do.

Reminds me of the famous cartoon: pair of Jehovah's Witnesses arriving at front door 'We're Jehovah's Witnesses' - householder opening door 'And I'm Jehovah - how are we doing, boys?'.

In the original cartoon he was an elderly white male with a long beard. It might actually have been funnier if it had been a young black woman!
Tuesday 18 June 2019 9.45pm
I just tell 'em to b*gger off.
Wednesday 19 June 2019 7.36am
John C...loved to have seen that Cartoon!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions