London SE1 community website

I miss The Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 11 June 2019 9.15pm
I was born in Pattison House, Redcross Way in February 1955. Lived there until I was about 12 and then Bermondsey, Catford and many other places all in London . I am 64 now and have lived in Exeter, Devon for the past 7 years and it's lovely. Reminds me a lot of The Borough when I was a kid, a real community where everyone knows everyone else and we look after each other. But, I still really miss London. There's nothing like hearing people "talk like wot I do"! Love London and my Londoners. Have a great day xx
Tuesday 11 June 2019 10.53pm
Did you play on the Rec? Go to John Gerard club ? I'm 75 Yvonne spent quite a bit of time at The Borough, left London two years ago, miss it every second,every minute every day!
Wednesday 12 June 2019 5.28pm
Yes! I did play on the rec. I also played on the bomb site near my primary school, Charles Dickens.
Thursday 13 June 2019 10.46am
Which bit? Plus all of mine went to Charles Dickens ...there were so many bombed houses,remember having a great time clambering over floorboards that were over big drops to the floor. We called the sites near London Bridge fairyland! Great maze pond near guys was full of sticklebacks in the where cellars had filled with water. We used to go Clapham Common with a net catch them , then take the Home in jam jar, mum would say it's cruel..remember taking them to site and tossing them in! It was where the new Cancer village is now . We had so much freedom then Yvonne .no material possessions not many clothes, our shoes often had cardboard inside when they were HOLEY!
Friday 14 June 2019 7.28pm
Yes, I wore plimsolls from Walworths for most of my school years and had permanently black knees? I remember Ayres Street behind Pattereson House. It was where the Lord Clyde pub was where my dad drank. It was smooth and shiny cement. Great for roller skates. There was a bombed out house there that we used to dare each other to go in. Scary. I also used to go down to the Thames. I called it the "beach". Used to pick up stuff that had washed in and take it home. It was usually thrown straight in the bin though! Happy days
Friday 14 June 2019 8.20pm
Mud larking? Me too! Lord Clyde is still there it retained lots of character.
Saturday 13 July 2019 9.10pm
Yes Yvonne & Jan i miss the borough also.
I was brought up in Avonmouth Street Newinton Causeway.
The borough was my playground.
Jan I was a alter boy in the Precious Blood chapel father Reynolds was the priest in my day and afterwards it was nearly always the John Gerard club cakes and juice I remember it well me and my mum.
We had to move back to Scotland when I was about twelve I am now fifty five because of grandparents not being able to cope.
I still try to get down a couple of times a year I have walk around the borough market I can remember back in the 60ís when I was young we used to ask for the bashed fruit and get chased.
I go down to the elephant and castle but my god was a depressing place now back in the day it was brilliant with the two cinemas and stuff hope someday it gets back to its former glory.
I go down and have a sit in jail park beside my old house I was born in Camberwell
grew up between the Elephant the borough I feel very lucky to have been born and and grew up in this area and also with the people.
Great childhood great people.
Sunday 14 July 2019 11.40am
Glenn I am 75, I remember going into borough market with my friend, we pulled handfuls of beautiful shiney cherries which when the bloke found us yelled there no good..there morello ones, really sour!

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions