London SE1 community website

Elderly victim

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 14 June 2019 1.19pm
Another joke sentence, suspended sentence for stealing 72 thousand pounds from elderly victim. Did this gentleman get his money back? Or did it go to a bunch of travellers?

My daughter in Derby is often visited by men who use the following; We are in the neighbourhood and notice your drive needs repairing, your tiles are missing from roof etc.

She thanks them but responds 'oh sorry but I'm not landlord I rent, one saucy git said could she tell her landlord he called! All the houses in this area say same thing...

That poor man falling for that.. Well done to Southwark to help nail them.
Saturday 15 June 2019 9.11am
Jan, it is not only a joke sentence but also an insult to the victim and encouragement to all those scum who rob and thieve, burgle by distraction or aggression, defraud and con the elderly and vulnerable. This mockery of justice tells all the ne'er-do-wells that their worst punishment will be having to appear in court. So, they are in a win-win position should the almost impossible happen that they get caught in the first place.
I would have thought that common sense would demand that they face charges of theft, obtaining money by deception and money laundering. The police should try to obtain evidence of them living beyond their means and use the proceeds of crime to get the victim's money back, or at least some of it.
A sentence of 5 years (of which they would serve 30 months, probably) might start to persuade them and their ilk that robbing and cheating the vulnerable isn't worth it.
Sunday 16 June 2019 1.31am
Where I come from, all jewellers are routinely granted a firearms certificate that allows them to carry a concealed pistol, or to keep one on their business premises or at their home.

All banks there have armed rentacops, and airport style scanning for any person entering.

That lady would have dealt with those robbers in record time had this country allowed her to exercise the same degree of self defence, but no: the only armed people here are a small number of cops, and those belonging to the criminal fraternity.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions