London SE1 community website

London Violence

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 18 June 2019 10.30pm
The Barbarians are now at the gates with street violent crime...The next Cons Leader must be zero tolerant and Sadiq Khan be severely reprimanded or dismissed forthwith

Cotswolds 12
Wednesday 19 June 2019 8.50am
The disturbing bit I found was the obvious glee two girls displayed. Wonder if they would be as blasé if their child was caught up in it all (when they have one,they looked very young). Bring back Borstal...sentences that are proper sentences, no only half served. It makes a mockery of the justice system.

Our Police Officers you know the ones at the front, must feel like Canute.

Paramount it doesn't matter what political party is in, who replaces Sadie Khan. The rot is there. Being lily livered about justice isn't working.
Wednesday 19 June 2019 8.56am
A PM can't reprimand nor dismiss Mr Khan. Only voters can do that. I suspect they won't given the opportunity.
Wednesday 19 June 2019 9.04am
I agree and was so shocked to see this piece of footage. Where are the parents? Why do they not know where their children are and who they are with? I really do blame the parents as discipline, respect and being kind to people comes from the home. It is down to schools to teach children this.
Poverty does not come in to it as they are all wearing designer gear yet the parents will plead poverty. I certainly do not blame our poor police officers having to deal with this.
It's truly awful to see people behave like this!
Wednesday 19 June 2019 1.29pm
No point wailing about it. Sadiq Khan is in charge. What can be done NOW to tackle the violence? Using he violence to pursue a political agenda is not a solution and any Mayor, Con, Lab or whatever would struggle to solve this and Zac Goldsmith wouldn't have prevented it either.
Wednesday 19 June 2019 5.27pm
Paramount wrote:
The Barbarians are now at the gates with street violent crime...The next Cons Leader must be zero tolerant and Sadiq Khan be severely reprimanded or dismissed forthwith

Sorry, Paramount - 'Barbarians at the gates' suggests it's a threat from outside. It isn't - it's an indigenous London/SE1 problem - as an SE1er it's YOUR kids or YOUR grandchildren who are killing each other. What are YOU going to do about it?

Paramount wrote:
...and Sadiq Khan be severely reprimanded or dismissed forthwith

Um, Paramount, looking back at your previous posts, I see that you are a strong believer in 'democracy' - at least when it comes to the Brexit vote. Sadiq Khan was elected by a popular vote of 1,310,143 of your London neighbours (unlike whoever will be the next prime minister). He can't be 'severely reprimanded or dismissed forthwith' just because you disapprove of his handling of this particular issue. I don't have a copy of his election manifesto - I don't know if he actually promised 'reducing knife-crime to zero'.

If he stands again for election next year you can make your views clear by voting for another candidate - that's democracy for you.
Friday 21 June 2019 12.40am
Can anyone brief me on this? I have been working away for a week. Was there some trouble in se1? All sounds very worrying.
Friday 21 June 2019 8.53am
I totally agree with Soup on this. You can blame the politicians, lack of youth clubs, blah blah blah but why doesn’t anyone hold the families and the parents responsible for their offsprings’s ferral behaviour? As for schools, they do teach kids about being a decent human being but it’s not really their job.

Makes me laugh when I see the fist bumping “respect bruv” brigade. Most of them don’t know the true meaning of the word!
Friday 21 June 2019 8.10pm
Thatcher is credited (rightly or wrongly) to have once said: "There is no such thing as society".

Well, guess what: society does indeed exist, and the crimewave we read about (and hopefully do not witness) is its product.

The solution is not bringing back borstals, which were nothing more that a crime academy for the likes of, say, "Mad" Frankie Fraser.

Nor is it the 'short sharp shock' of the 1980s: boys were still cutting each others faces to ribbons with stanley knifes despite this measure.

What we need more of, are youth clubs and mentoring from adults able to garner the respect of these lads and help them find a new direction in life.
Friday 21 June 2019 11.05pm
rimby wrote:
Can anyone brief me on this? I have been working away for a week. Was there some trouble in se1? All sounds very worrying.

I was also wondering what everyone is referring to.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions