London SE1 community website

Vision for Southwark Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 24 June 2019 10.28am
There is a public exhibition on Thursday 27 June 2019 - 2 til 8, and Saturday29 June 12 til 4 at Platform to see what TfL and Southwark Council are proposing for the area around the station.

It includes buildings and land that are owned by TfL and Southwark Council, one building being Styles House. It includes 'their' plans for council housing, but I would like to make it clear, it is Styles House that is leading on building council housing on that land and not TfL, or Southwark Council for that matter, and so far Styles House has not agreed a plan with TfL because they are not satisfied with the proposal. Regular readers will know that Styles House has been in 'consultation' and 'negotiations' for years, and years and years with developers who want to take advantage of the land around Southwark Station to increase their own prospects. I won't repeat any of that though as it is on another thread.

What I would ask is this; if you go to the meetings ask where the residents will live who are currently living in the smaller block because it is likely that will be demolished. Ask what consideration and compensation residents will get as they live in a building site for years and years. Ask how much any land will be sold for, or what the land exchange amounts to. Ask if the land that is being 'traded' can be built on; insist on seeing a surveyors report. Ask if The Cut will be closed at all during the build. Ask if the proposed station entrance in Greet Street is related to this ie will Southwark Station close during the years that the new building is being built. And, of course, ask how much of the lovely green space that fronts The Cut will be lost. Oh, and don't forget, as a local resident, to ask what's in it for you.

Apart from a slight increase in council housing which is a good thing but could be done on Styles land without any interference from TfL, the benefits elude me as TfL want to just build a huge office block.

The meetings are in Platform.
Tuesday 25 June 2019 3.53pm
the fact is that if LBS could get their act together, Styles House residents with the help of the TMO, those much-needed council houses would've been built a long time ago without the need of TFL dictating to the council what to do next.
I am also concerned about the ability to build on land we were told many years ago that was unsuitable for building, hence the allotment being there.
as per usual once TFL has done the so call consultation, they will do what they like.
(new entrance in greet street, stopping the RV1...)
Tuesday 25 June 2019 9.54pm
Yes, I would demand that a structural survey be done by surveyors of your choice (paid by TfL) because I remember being told that that bit of land could not be built on.
Saturday 29 June 2019 1.21pm
Canít imagine todayís meeting will be well attended in this heat.
Tuesday 2 July 2019 8.05am
So what's the plan?
Thursday 4 July 2019 4.51pm
Karen,
The only information I could gather having attended the Thursday "consultation" was that TfL own at least four properties in Styles House of which one tenant is on the management committee. Now "there's tidy" as some would say
They say they do not know how high the building will be ,"neat and tidy".
There will be no dwellings in the TfL development only offices and some retail space and, maybe, some space the community will be able to use like a gymnasium.
Any social homes (25?) will be provided by Styles House management building them where the allotments are and the gardens facing onto Hatfields.
The TfL building would be at its highest over Southwark underground entrance and would be stepped down, in tiers, to and across Joan Street. Joan Street would therefore exist only as an entrance to the old BT building and would no longer be a side street off The Cut.

I await the denials of the above and the proof that I misheard everything I was told, perhaps from a Styles House representative or a TfL PR who is willing to poke their head above the parapet
Zoe
Sunday 7 July 2019 11.58am
Hi Bunhouse, I didnít quite follow your points. TfL do own flats at Styles House, which they bought from Development Securities (itís actually five, four in the tall block, one is in the studio block). There isnít anyone on the TMO management committee from TfL though, or one of their tenants (not because they arenít allowed to, we just havenít had anyone volunteer).

Itís right that the council housing wonít be in the TfL block (we tried hard to get that, but they wouldnít have it) but we donít really know the design or size of their building. They are saying Palestra sized, but I think thatís a bit misleading and it will be taller.

There will be a land swap, with some TfL land going to Styles, and some Styles land going to Tfl, but the big change is Tfl would be buying Joan Street, which will disappear.

We have thought about having a presentation for local people, as TfLís presentations are so poor and they explain nothing, but I sort of feel we shouldnít have to interpret TfLs plans for them, they should do a better job.

At the WCDG meeting last week, Michael Ball suggested TfL set up a joint committee with locals and Styles House, plus WCDG which I thought was a good idea and will be pushing with them, to try to get local voices heard. They are the public sector and should do more to work with local people.
Sunday 7 July 2019 2.31pm
Iím very concerned that TfL have offered the allotment space as part of the swap. Styles House was previously told that this land could not be built on because of the engineering and tunnelling close underground. Has TfL provided proof that this land can be built on?
Zoe
Sunday 7 July 2019 3.37pm
I donít think Styles residents will choose to build on it, as they didnít in previous consultation. However TfL did some work a few years ago and established they could build something low rise (not convinced myself).
Sunday 7 July 2019 5.14pm
It was a very mediocre consultation from TFL. they tried so hard that they missed the point completely. it feels that they are making it so difficult, people get overwhelmed and donít respond to it. the amount of bad information, the laughable statements (Our development will contribute to the local area through beautiful and sustainable design)
also, they did not share any pieces of information about their own design. that is quite alarming.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions