London SE1 community website

Vision for Southwark Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Sunday 7 July 2019 7.50pm
Zoe, itís still important to know if that land can be built on and I would insist on a structural engineers investigation. Itís important because the value of the land will be considerably less than the land they want to obtain. Styles a House and Southwark Council should expect a much greater financial deal than TfL might want to offer. max33; I would be very suspicious. Why call a meeting if they donít want to be open about what they are going to build?
Monday 15 July 2019 5.58pm
we are getting engineers to have a look at it as soon as this week. I will keep you posted.
obviously, TFL and LBS are eager to make things moving to meet the deadline for planning in March 2020.
Tuesday 16 July 2019 1.13am
One thing that rang alarm bells for me was the board they had that stated they would build "homes for Londoners". I decided to quiz them on it - to try and work out what this vague statement actually meant, and how they could go about it - especially after hearing that many of the tower blocks that have gone up around Elephant & Castle have been purchased by Chinese property developers, who are now renting them out for vast sums of money to Chinese students.

They didn't really know much about it, made out it was a fantastic idea and the idea would be to make homes that Londoners could buy - rather than Social Housing. They then told me to search for a scheme on the london.gov.uk site.

So I found the page they were referring to - a scheme called "First dibs", which looks promising at first - the idea being that the homebuilding industry would find ways to make new homes available to Londoners & UK residents before buyers from overseas.

Skip down a paragraph, and you realise what nonsense it is - it would only apply to new build market properties valued at £350,000 or less - a price that an SE1 overinflated new build flat would definitely not be priced at.

"In February 2018, the Mayor welcomed voluntary proposals from organisations in the homebuilding industry to ensure that new, lower-cost homes in the capital are marketed and sold exclusively to Londoners and UK-based buyers first. The proposals involve organisations committing to the following:

sales and marketing of all new build market properties in London (valued at £350,000 or less) to be restricted to UK residents in the first three months of availability
an additional Ďhead startí of up to one month to be available for Londoners, during which only those living or working in the capital will be able to purchase new properties valued at £350,000 or below
In addition, these organisations have committed that all homes sold under the Help to Buy scheme in London will be marketed through the Homes for Londoners property search tool (up to the Help to Buy value threshold of £600,000).

Homebuilders will undertake to make basic checks to ensure that purchasers are eligible. This will require prospective purchasers to provide proof of residence or employment."

More here:

https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/housing-and-land/first-dibs
Wednesday 17 July 2019 8.26am
Karen I wrote:
There is a public exhibition on Thursday 27 June 2019 - 2 til 8, and Saturday29 June 12 til 4 at Platform to see what TfL and Southwark Council are proposing for the area around the station.
It includes buildings and land that are owned by TfL and Southwark Council, one building being Styles House. It includes 'their' plans for council housing, but I would like to make it clear, it is Styles House that is leading on building council
housing on that land and not TfL, or Southwark Council for that matter, and so far Styles House has not agreed a plan with TfL because they are not satisfied with the proposal. Regular readers will know that Styles House has been in 'consultation' and 'negotiations' for years, and years and years with developers who want to take advantage of the land around Southwark Station to increase their own prospects. I won't repeat any of that though as it is on another thread.

What I would ask is this; if you go to the meetings ask where the residents will live who are currently living in the smaller block because it is likely that will be demolished. Ask what consideration and compensation residents will get as they live in a building site for years and years. Ask how much any land will be sold for, or what the land exchange amounts to. Ask if the land that is being 'traded' can be built on; insist on seeing a surveyors report. Ask if The Cut will be closed at all during the build. Ask if the proposed station entrance in Greet Street is related to this ie will Southwark Station close during the years that the new building is being built. And, of course, ask how much of the lovely green space that fronts The Cut will be lost. Oh, and don't forget, as a local resident, to ask what's in it for you.

Apart from a slight increase in council housing which is a good thing but could be done on Styles land without any interference from TfL, the benefits elude me as TfL want to just build a huge office block.

The meetings are in Platform.
Absolutely concur
Wednesday 17 July 2019 8.36am
max33 wrote:
the fact is that if LBS could get their act together, Styles House residents with the help of the TMO, those much-needed council houses would've been built a long time ago without the need of TFL dictating to the council what to do next.
I am also concerned about the ability to build on land we were told many years ago that was unsuitable for building, hence the allotment being there.
as per usual once TFL has done the so call consultation, they will do what they like.
(new entrance in greet street, stopping the RV1...)
That is correct
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions