London SE1 community website

Fence collapsed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 26 June 2019 11.51am
The fence panels between our garden and a council property have rotted and are collapsing. The council advise "the council do not responsible for fence mending or repair any longer. " And have told me verbally that I can replace it with whatever I like.

So I'm interested in either advice if anyone else has had similar situation and what happened...
Also I guess I need to find someone who could undertake the work as this is well beyond my DiY skills! Any suggestions please.
Wednesday 26 June 2019 12.33pm
Might be worth finding out who is responsible for the fence. You might be able to find this out from your deeds. If the info. on your deeds is not clear, look at the fence to see which side the uprights are positioned - either in your garden or next doors. If they are in your garden then the fence is probably your issue, but if they are positioned on next doors land, then it is their's.
Thursday 27 June 2019 12.04pm
You can't make them repair the fence. You can demand they deal with it if it is unsafe, blocking an access route etc. There are only a few instances where the property holder is 100% legally responsible for maintaining a fence, typically that means Network Rail, a mine owner or a farmer. Everyone else is responsible for securing their own boundaries if they choose to do so and assuming that they are allowed to because on newer developments there is often a rule banning the erection of fences in front gardens, at least.
Tuesday 2 July 2019 12.19pm
Well I guess it is currently unsafe - but only if you stood close enough. Think the current fence is the only indication we have of where the boundary lies. So I guess I can go ahead and get it repaired as I see fit... Maybe neon pink painted railings? ;-)

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions