London SE1 community website

Cost of renting - Grainger

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 10 July 2019 9.36am
Tenants only moved out last Saturday, their cottage went up for sale on Tuesday. Greedy Grainer!
Friday 12 July 2019 11.06am
Iím w tenant on the Winchester Park estate lived here since 1990. The recent upgrade works have made a big difference to the properties for the better, although the works have been very disruptive. Iím now very worried about the next rent increase as Grainger will want to claw the cost back from the tenants. I may have to move in a few years as I simply wonít be able to afford it any longer. The Church Commissioners should hang their heads in shame for selling off social housing stock.
Sjf
Friday 12 July 2019 10.04pm
@se1antique I'm on the Winchester too, I agree the works have improved the flats especially the windows that have been installed but imo they've only done the works to make the properties visibly pleasing to the eye to potentially attract more wealthy business type occupants that can afford £3k a month rent, family's are getting pushed out because of the prices, it's such a shame, gone are the days of communities, we have different neighbors monthly.
Tuesday 16 July 2019 12.31am
It would be worth having a look at SophieLondon's post about airbnb earlier on this week - as she mentions that she's having problems with an airbnb located in a Grainger flat that has been resold.

https://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/221207

What tends to happen in blocks where there is an airbnb problem, is that the tenants can get away with charging anything up to £300 per night - you get a large surplus of people using the common entrances so service charges go up, and then the property managers start pushing up the costs. The people running the airbnb don't care so much, as they're making enough money to cover those additional costs.

It might be worth having a chat with @SophieLondon, and see if you can take a look at leases, and check using tools like insideairbnb.com to see if there is a problem with holiday sublets in your blocks. Then if it looks like you have a problem, have a chat with Southwark council & complain to Grainger, and try kicking the subletters out.

It's a huge problem in SE1 - and you'll find that most of the holiday lets are being run by large companies, who keep moving around till they find a block where they don't get complaints and can get away with it. Then eventually they get enough complaints, someone steps up and kicks them out, and they move somewhere else.

There are also a large number of companies that run disguised holiday lets in SE1, and list them on websites like Booking.com, but don't give away details of where the holiday lets are until the customer arrives for check in. This means that they're much harder to spot, and it's harder for neighbours to get proof. We had one running from our building, and only caught them out after seeing confused tourists with laminated bits of paper, and loads of dodgy looking key holders. Here's one located on Union Street, the reviews give them away, and all the photos of different apartments.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/london-bridge-apartments.en-gb.html

SE1 has a big problem with all this, it might explain all the different neighbours you've got too?
Wednesday 17 July 2019 10.54am
I have continually said that there isn't a housing crisis, what we face is a Rent crisis, my standpoint would be that, private Landlords can only start charging market rents, when we aren't lacking housing for Social Tenants... Given that the Lend Lease Development (Heygate) is almost 100% ready for occupancy and the Aylesbury redevelopment is well in hand and planned developments down the OKR coming on line within the next 7/8 years, we should have a surfeit of Housing available to Social Renters.
If we do not, then we need to hold both the Council and Developers Legally responsible. Both have a duty of care and if they continue to fail in this duty, then we can take their profits until such a time as they fulfil their duty...
Additionally, all these contractors can also pay to restore all the roads and paths in the Borough that are being torn up and badly repaired as a result of works traffic...
Wednesday 17 July 2019 12.46pm
dianataylorlondon wrote:
I have continually said that there isn't a housing crisis, what we face is a Rent crisis, my standpoint would be that, private Landlords can only start charging market rents, when we aren't lacking housing for Social Tenants... Given that the Lend Lease Development (Heygate) is almost 100% ready for occupancy and the Aylesbury redevelopment is well in hand and planned developments down the OKR coming on line within the next 7/8 years, we should have a surfeit of Housing available to Social Renters.
If we do not, then we need to hold both the Council and Developers Legally responsible. Both have a duty of care and if they continue to fail in this duty, then we can take their profits until such a time as they fulfil their duty...
Additionally, all these contractors can also pay to restore all the roads and paths in the Borough that are being torn up and badly repaired as a result of works traffic...

You have reinforced my case for the Abolition of Private Landlordism.

Tone
Sunday 28 July 2019 3.23pm
It was the Church Commissioners who first started to rent our flats out at market rent because they lost so much money on speculating - then sold us down the river - literally.

Agree estate looking really good but there should be no rent increase this year as the works have been so disruptive for most of the last year.

Big problem since scaffolding came down has been the weekend noise from the Saturday night parties in Thorold House. Anybody else not sleeping?
Wednesday 31 July 2019 9.21pm
Hi
I live in Thorold and can assure you that if there had been parties we would have been knocking on their door. I did hear a v loud party Saturday just gone - it was coming from either Duthy Hall or the rehersal halls. It echos around our courtyard which probably distorted where it was coming from. It sounded like a sing a long to piano music. I assumed it was an after show celebration - it went on til at least 4am but definately wasn't in Thorold House.
Wednesday 31 July 2019 11.51pm
Mini Haha wrote:
Hi
I live in Thorold and can assure you that if there had been parties we would have been knocking on their door. I did hear a v loud party Saturday just gone - it was coming from either Duthy Hall or the rehersal halls. It echos around our courtyard which probably distorted where it was coming from. It sounded like a sing a long to piano music. I assumed it was an after show celebration - it went on til at least 4am but definately wasn't in Thorold House.

It was top floor end flat (st mungos side)
Had a guy running about in his pants at 2am ..not piano music that night but groups of men.. then the block door handle was ripped of by them i was told
Thursday 1 August 2019 7.16am
Maybe coming from more than one place but definitely people on balcony all night on top floor at the end with fairy lights. Saw people on balcony and when we were woken up again by loud shouting at 6.45 we could see the people on the balcony. As soon as balcony door was shut then peace! But you are right it could have been coming from more than one place of course. Suggest If it happens this weekend we all get up and chase the noise polluters!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions