London SE1 community website

Mobile phone theft - Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 16 July 2019 7.35pm
I was mugged on lower Bermondsey St. last night (opposide hand & marigold pub) at around 8.30pm by a young lad on a boris bike. Obviously an incredibly frustrating experience, and did the expected block phone, blacklist IMEI with provider, report to the Met.

But what I've found most shocking was upon walking down Bermondsey St. this evening at around 7pm, I witnessed the immediate aftermath of another mobile phone mugging taking place on the pedestrian crossing near the Watch House cafe. Again, two young lads both on bicycles.

Could be a coincidence and I'm not a fan or fear-mongering, but definitely worth keeping your wits about you and your phone out of sight in the local area on an evening right now.
Thursday 18 July 2019 12.30pm
Thanks Stephen, I hope you are ok.

Bermondsey Street is known for mobile phone theft, as there are a lot of young kids riding around on bikes.

You have to be very careful, the same applies to Tooley Street, keep your valuables out of site and stay safe.

It's such a lovely area but these people just ruin it, no morales, no respect for other people or their property and they just think it's ok to take what people work hard for - makes me so angry!
Friday 19 July 2019 8.15am
Sorry to hear you were mugged last night.

On Facebook, there is a group Social Awareness for SE16, everyday there are reports of muggings by Canada Water Station. The muggers have ear pieces and speak to each other, one watches whilst the other cycles around to grab the phone. Its certainly on the increase.
Friday 19 July 2019 8.17am
I used to work off Bermondsey Street and lost count of the number of incidents like this, both here and in Tanner Street Park. It is incredibly common elsewhere too. I witnessed the same outside Borough Tube station a few weeks ago and on Blackfriars Road recently too.

Best advice is to be uber careful when using your phone on the street and avoid completely if you can.

Incidentally, if all they did was snatch your phone then you have been robbed, not mugged. If you were physically assaulted or threatened with it then you were, indeed, mugged. These guys rarely do the latter. They just snatch and run or cycle off. The last thing they want is time spent in an altercation where someone else might intervene.
Friday 19 July 2019 9.39am
Where is the CCTV when needed?
The swarming bike ferals would make for a good TV documentary. At least it might shame the authorities into action.
Wednesday 13 November 2019 8.40pm
I was mugged by the same two guys on bikes in September on Grange Road. So frustrating.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions