London SE1 community website

Planning app to close Footbridge over York Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 17 July 2019 5.20pm
The footbridge over York Rd, enabling people to walk over at concourse level from Waterloo Station to the South Bank without going down to cross this very busy road, has now re-opened. It was closed for refurbishment including new steps and a lift on the far side. The new lift isn't quite finished but will be soon. People are back to flowing over the bridge in large numbers including parties of school children, people going to St Thomas's and the Evelina Children's hospitals, workers, holiday makers etc. Soon it will be even better for people with disabilities and children with buggies when the new lift opens.

BUT the developers of Elizabeth House on the station side of the road have applied to demolish this footbridge and the lift (Lambeth Planning application website 19/01477/EIAFUL) . Unfortunately Lambeth will probably allow the demolition. Lambeth's policy is that people should cross roads at ground level. They are not flexible enough to spot that this should be varied if the bridge is serving the busiest railway station in the UK with an enormous flow of users. Major users of the road underneath include ambulances to the A&E Department at St T's . Guys no longer has an A&E. Also buses to take people on from the station. There are long queues of commuters in the mornings waiting for buses.

There is no warning on the footbridge that it's demolition is being considered . But if you can see it would be unfair to the users (and people in ambulances) to get rid of the footbridge please comment on the planning application. There is also a petition available.
Wednesday 24 July 2019 1.50pm
The planning proposal

https://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

(where you can make a comment)

is mainly about the demolition of buildings on either side of the road, and the (very useful and important) bridge.

The proposal includes "creation of new pedestrian routes and public realm including a new footbridge connecting the building to Waterloo Station..."

Obviously someone with experience of planning would be useful to look into the details of the plans.
Monday 29 July 2019 10.25am
From my skim of the Design & Access Statement they already have planning permission to remove the York Rd footbridge and this proposal continues that ethos. The proposed new bridge is from the station to the new promenade, rather than across York Rd.

The design described in the Design & Access Statement seems well thought through and I am not sure how a bridge across York Rd could be added into it but that is the document to look at if advocating for that.
Tuesday 13 August 2019 10.55am
I have now read the comments. I have been Chair of Lambeth Planning Committee and at one stage represented London on the South East Regional Planning Authority and I was Vice-Chair of the Dockland Forum which united the community/trade union side of the 5 affected boroughs during the major docklands redevelopment there. So I know somethings about town planning.
The new bridge referred to by A Fraser is only from the station into Elizabeth House. It will go over a pedestrian area below. The planning application explains that this will save their users having to go down to ground floor . This is definitely a advantage for the development. Sadly they do not extend the same consideration to the general public. The applicants are applying to remove the public footbridge which currently takes the public at station concourse level over the very busy York Rd . To remain at concourse level this bridge has to continue to go through Elizabeth House which is how they have an interest in the matter. This footbridge which they are asking to demolish has been improved recently by the developers on the other side putting new steps down and a lift.

The bridge did get rather lost , as described, in the application for Elizabeth House. So much so that the developers failed to put up site notices at the bridge. They have now put in another application solely about demolishing the bridge. Lambeth Planning applications website ref 19/02593/FUl. So far all public comments on this site object. I don't know if they know anything about town planning but they are all clear that they value the footbridge.

mosmi has pointed that there is also an on-line petition against the demolition.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions