London SE1 community website

URGENT: St Mary Magdalen Churchyard - Planning Application by Developer

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 7 August 2019 4.08pm
A plan to link St Mary's Churchyard with Tanner Street Park stretches back over thirty years - way before the developers moved in. The idea being to create a linear walk between St John's Churchyard (via Brunswick Court) to Tanner Street Park and St Mary's Churchyard.

www.richardqmiller.com
Wednesday 7 August 2019 4.34pm
Shiv wrote:
It's not needed as there is already access to the park nearby and will mean the loss of tree(s). Trees are precious and if you haven't noticed Southwark council aren't great at looking after trees in the area.

Agree, two trees already chopped in the park and with part of their trunk still left as a testimony [Southwark just recently cut another big tree just behind the Hotel at Bermondsey Square].
It sounds unnecessary to remove more trees for the sake of opening an additional entrance.
Wednesday 7 August 2019 11.14pm
I still think that people are missing the point: it's not just an additional entrance, it's meant to be part of a quiet walkway between the parks. I also hate to see any trees in the borough being felled, but according to the arboricultural survey in the application the one tree that is proposed for removal is decaying and would be recommended for removal in any case. (Yes, I know, the report will have been commissioned as part of the application, but hopefully that's why we have a planning process and the council will verify the report.)

I'd prefer to see the council focus on ensuring that the developers contribute to a well designed (and hopefully landscaped/green) walkway away from main roads that the whole community can use.
Friday 9 August 2019 10.29am
This route is not there because the developers want it. It is part of Southwark's planning strategy as is one into Newman's Row for creating new pedestrian routes along Tower Bridge Road and creating a new route between Tower Bridge Road and Bermondsey Street. I'm sure the developers would far rather a fully gated development.
Saturday 10 August 2019 11.44am
I have had a look and to me they could easily make a smaller entrance there, without the need to take the trees down or move so many headstones. The trees actually look healthy too. I can see how it may be a nice link from Tanner Street Park, although I don't think you would want to walk along it on a wintry dark night!!
Saturday 10 August 2019 7.56pm
sjac wrote:
I still think that people are missing the point: it's not just an additional entrance, it's meant to be part of a quiet walkway between the parks. I also hate to see any trees in the borough being felled, but according to the arboricultural survey in the application the one tree that is proposed for removal is decaying and would be recommended for removal in any case. (Yes, I know, the report will have been commissioned as part of the application, but hopefully that's why we have a planning process and the council will verify the report.)
I'd prefer to see the council focus on ensuring that the developers contribute to a well designed (and hopefully landscaped/green) walkway away from main roads that the whole community can use.

I fully agree. when I first saw this post, my first reaction was also being firmly against it. But when I had a look at it in the churchyard, I realised the application makes perfect sense. To have a walkway between Tanner Street and the churchyard will be great and it also connects all the other smaller streets. My dog will much prefer that walkway over Tower Bridge Road.

I can't wait.
Sunday 11 August 2019 2.23pm
Another little rat run for the muggers
Tuesday 13 August 2019 7.21pm
Living close to the proposed route linking up to Newhams’ Row and Tanner Street Park my impression is that this route, just as Newhams’ Row and the more sheltered area of the park where the park abuts current buildings already are, will be used by drug users and dealers, drunks, late night revellers and other less sociable activities. The amount of drug dealing, copper pipe cutters, drunks, homeless and travelling campers setting up tents and using the park as bathroom etc. I regularly see out my window suggests to me this new route will not be used by many people in any case and by nightfall it will be a haven for illicit activities. It may look like a clever idea on a map at Southwark Planning but the reality I fear will prove more problematic than useful. How many people need a backstreet alternative to walking from St Mary’s to Tanner Street Park who can’t walk down Bermondsey Street?
Tuesday 13 August 2019 7.27pm
Interestingly the link at the beginning of this thread to the application at Southwark Planning now says, “This application is no longer available for viewing. It may have been removed or restricted from public viewing.”. Anybody have further information on the application?
Tuesday 13 August 2019 10.13pm
I think the consultation period closed on 5 August.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions